S. Sister S. side conditions?

Eugenian

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

it is cooling off this week, if you get an early start you shouldn't need snowshoes, and the ridge right above the lewis glacier is almost snow free all the way to the top. cletus and i did an interesting variation to the s side slog, hiked up green lakes trail and stayed on the west side of fall creek and traveled up between the 2 flows on the SE side of the mountain, this gulley hooks up with the normal south route right near the moraine of lewis glacier.

you won't see a soul over there, and the trail might be snow free up to the gulley by then... and you don't loose as much elevation since green lks th is a bit higher...

I'd have to respectfully disagree with timmy, bring snowshoes. I was up last weekend, and (1) it was fucking hot, and (2) I definitely used snowshoes on the way back.

There's not really a worn boot trail, but there's enough tracks to make your way efficiently through the woods up to the plateau. From the plateau on, it's effortless navigating.

I'd suggest starting as early as possible, especially if the day is going to be hot. If you go, give me an update on conditions, as I plan on hiking SS again this weekend or next.

Thank you both! How about I just carry one pair of snowshoes for two people and split the difference between your advice. wink.gif Seriously though, thank you both...I'm new to this board and so far everyone has been pretty damn helpful. I might go scout the western approach roads to Diamond Peak after work tomorrow...but one of these'll go on Sat., and I'll be sure to report back.

~Evan