non-climbing, cycling goings-on

freeclimb9

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what Eddie Merckx is saying now!

It will be interesesting to see how the Tour plays out this year, considering Tyler is on another team and has had an amazing season winning Liege and Romandie. Cipo won't be gracing the tour this year, more time to stand in front of the mirror looking at his rainbow jersey and organizing his walkin shoe closet.

Lance was in a four man breakaway in the Liege with Axel Merckx, and Lance attempted to drop them before he was caught by the break Hamilton was in. Eddie thought it was disrespectful of Lance to do that to his son, and went on to say that he is looking rather unimpressive. Remember the Eddie and Lance are/were very close friends.

Personally I can't even imagine crashing at 70 mph, let alone going that fast, and only getting minor road rash like he did. This spring I got up to 60 mph in a race and I was scared out of my mind.

oh yeah i remember the liege controversy. hopefully it's water under the bridge. i find it rather refreshing to see a former great befriend the current champ.

i think the article says 70 kph (~45mph). it's plenty fast to be taking a dinger though. do you race much?

A little over a decade ago I hit an indicated 71 MPH in a race in Colorado, screaming down Wolf Creek Pass at 10,000+ feet on a multi-mile long straightaway. Pretty f'ing scary, but it was my only chance to catch up with the skinny little bastards who kicked my ass on the way up.

Was really glad I was using clincher tires when it came time to slow down for the hairpin. shocked.gif

Fairweather said:

Discuss...

Lance Armstrong vs. Ed Viesters. non-cycling, non climbing event.

....and the winner gets to take on Dan -!

You have to throw in Steve Larson in there. He would most likely win too.

For those of you not familiar with Steve Larson, he was a professional road racer on Motorola with Lance. He then entered mountain biking and had an amazing career at what was ultimately the height of the sport. He got screwed out of the last summer Olympics because of some World Cup mechanical mishaps and in protest decided to win the last 4 NORBA cup races and the national title and then exit the sport.

Two weeks before the Lake Placid Ironman Steve decides he is going to do it. The most he had been running going into the race was 6 miles a week. You run 23 miles in an Ironman, after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles. He won convincingly against a very stacked field. He went on to take 5 place in Kona that year. Steve was at a race I did last year in Bend, where the bike leg was on Cascade Loop and over the Mt. Bachelor pass down to Sunriver. He won, broke the bike record with an average speed of 27 mph.