BG TRAIL USERS BEWARE!!!!!!

Dave_Schuldt

Never ridden this trail or whatever, but if some fuck wants to TRY and give me a ticket he can try to catch me. Its like DUI on a skateboard. What next?? Promote biking to prevent destruction and pollution. What do these measures do?? People who are trapped in a box, and are making rules. Lets see if they are faster than me!! bigdrink.gif

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! i just saw some fucked up shit walking across campus. minivan going west on pacific turning north onto 15th slams into cyclist going eastbound on BG. the dude is mostly unhurt and minor damage to his bike. i don't know how the driver didn't see him or that he had the right of way other than she had her eyes closed. i gave the dude my number if he needs a witness. that driver might not like cyclists but now she can face the law.

i know i will get slammed for this but as a cyclist i will take may chances hopping onto sidewalks at busy intersections if it helps me avoid a collision. i would rather get a $50 ticket for improper biking than get hit by a minivan. i'm amazed that guy wasn't more hurt.

hellno3d.gifmadgo_ron.gifwazzup.gif

Ouch - that's grim. My first job in Seattle was a messenger for 6 months. Compared to D.C and NYC Seattle is a pretty tame city for biking. But I kinda mix rules on my daily 30 mi commute. You have to to survive. Even if you obey all the laws the aholes will get after you. It's always heads up. I recently was in the right lane coming to a red light, usually I stay to the side by the close to the curb was full of water so I stayed in the middle. Some jerk leaned on his horn and bumped my bike from behind (at a red light!). I flipped him off he got out of his car, I dropped my bike, he got back in his car and locked it. Jerk.

i got hit and run by a punk-ass kid in his mommy's teal thunderbird... i was right outside of cascade crags and they let me use their phone... got the bastard's license plate and they picked up the fucker later tha day... happened a week or so ago... so we'll see what happens to the bastard... hope he gets hung... but much thanks for the help fom the short dood at cascade crags... bigdrink.gif

b-rock said:

whatever, when i'm on my bike we all follow the same laws, that means i get the whole lane if i feel i need it. you may pass when i deem it safe.

Well, if that's the case, does that mean you are also subject to the "no more than 5 cars" law?!? Again, it seems that if you want to be held to the same standards for *some* laws, it should be that way for all of them.

uh sure, agreed. don't see why it would be necessary to keep that many motorists behind for more than just a few seconds though unless we were all moving at the speed limit. and anyways i really doubt that this happens with any regularity in practice...

Cyclists are usually on small two lane roads where the room is tight and it is impossible to pass.

Same road laws, but what about the law about holding up traffic? I don't know if it's an official statue, but automobile drivers can be ticketed for driving too slow and holding up traffic. They're expected to pull off to the side of the road and allow others to pass them. Even if you're not legally required by the law to do that, it's still just common courtesy and and about being considerate of others on the road.

As a pedestrian, I always cross the cross walk quickly. As a driver, I never occupy the passing (fast) lane if I see someone else behind me who wants to go faster.

Kiwi said:

Cyclists are usually on small two lane roads where the room is tight and it is impossible to pass.

Bike commuters cycle in town or just outside. Every where I bike there is plenty of room to pass. If not, it's only for a second or two. Folks in cars sometimes just get amped and take out their life frustrations on the cyclist. La-mo redirected aggression

I dunno, i've really never had much problem with cyclists on the road before. I think most are courtious and more importantly, most realize that despite issues of right or wrong, if they get hit by a car, they will lose. I find other idiotic car drivers much more of a problem. The left lane hogs around here are particularly bad. 3 vehicles in 3 different lanes all driving the same speed next to each other seems to be a washington tradition.

I admit, I speed. But I've also been the 'slow car' on the road myself. And yes, I change lanes or pull over in those situations.

But that is not the issue. A cyclist going 20 mph on a 35 mph road in heavy traffic is wrong.

JoshK said:

The left lane hogs around here are particularly bad. 3 vehicles in 3 different lanes all driving the same speed next to each other seems to be a washington tradition.

Argh! Don't get me started. madgo_ron.gif

The left lane is reserved for cars that are passing (or driving fast). I see cars hold up other drivers all the time. Sure, these cars could always pass them using the right lane, but they shouldn't. Car poolers who hog up the HOV lane piss me off too.

One should always leave room for drivers behind them to pass. Drivers who drive side by side next to another car are so inconsiderate. I see it in traffic all the time. Traffic density is not gradual, but quantitative. You can see it clearly. You see packets of traffic helld up by three or more cars driving side by side at the same speed. No one behind them can pass. There is usually a quarter mile or 10 car lengths between each traffic quanta.