Mountaineers

Dru

drul just like their tactics they are old and archaic. these people figure since they control some of the information then they control the mountains. kinda like when only royalty could read all the others were considered sub-human. well i say revolt and trundle.....ignoramuses!!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh crap, I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE, what the hell did Dan Larson do that everyone always dumps on him?

Oh, and I'm a Mountaineers member, too. I've never been on a climb with them, because they won't let you climb without either doing a class or an equivalency review. The former seems to be a waste of time and money since I mostly know the stuff (well, anyone want to take me aiding? don't know much about that) and the latter are few and far between. I tried to attend one of those reviews, it was held in Camp Long in West Seattle so I jumped on my bike in the wee hours and rode down there, with a packful of climbing gear too. Except I only got as far as the lower West Seattle bridge, some arsehole had left it open so there was basically no way to cross the Duwamish short of swimming. The best part was when I saw those four old harbor workers sitting in a pickup truck sipping coffee and waiting for their workday to start. I think I made their day, they laughed so hard when I asked them how to cross the @#$% river. One of them told me to jump in and swim it, that made the other three smirk even harder. I could barely keep from laughing myself, it was one of those Kodak moments I tell you.

Anyway. So far the mounties climbing program seems like a bit of a racket to me. Fuck liability, now that's a motto for you. Liability is single most important reason for why climbing is sometimes all fucked up.

Oh, and I went to a mounties avalanche beacon class thingy at Camp Long another time. Want to know how to figure out which white paper bag in the middle of the grassy field is the one with the beacon? It's the one with thirty people sitting on top. But now I can go on ski trips, and I actually think I might try that. I don't think there is anything wrong with ski touring or winter volcano climbs with like two rope teams of three each.

Hmm, I guess all my funny "stupid mountaineers" stories are about me, how great is that? Check it out, they're "stupid cascade climbers" stories at the same time smile.gif" border="0 Wait, here's a thought! If random 10 mounties that don't know each other sign up for a trip and then run into you, how many of them have to suck to give you a bad impression? Probably one or two. The rest could even be people that you might be perfectly happy to climb with, albeit hopefully in a smaller group. Whatever. I mean, I don't know, I've never been on those trips, but I just can't imagine how a big group of Mounties somehow must be worse than a big group of something else? Worst big group I ever ran into was going down the DC, 2 guides with something like 19 clients. One of those kids they were walking up and down the mountain lost his balance at the point where you turn around to get off the cleaver, and fell flat on his face. Next thing I hear is him asking the guide how to stand up. What the hell? I remember thinking something like, get me out of here before this becomes a real storm.

Final piece of mounties trivia, did you guys know Beckey started climbing with the Mountaineers? Fresh out of the boy scouts, according to his book at least. You probably all did know that, sorry. There is like a ton of guys like that that have climbed with the mounties. I can't really bring myself to dump on the club as a whole...

caveman. i was at castle that day the walkie talkie came u tumblin' down... and it DID hit me. mad.gif" border="0

i had no idea they were mtnr's. i can't remember exactly but i think she didn't yell anything b/c she didn't know what to call out... radio? wtf! its like when you're rock climbing and something falls... rock! bitch! rock! wink.gif" border="0

where was your best ever trundle?

Doug Wilm and I pushed some house sized boulders down the 2000' north face of Scuzzy Mountain once and started a rock avalanche. That was supremely fulfilling. Smoke and dust and that gunpowder smell. Also got some good velocity chucking volcanic bombs down a huge dirt slope on Brohm Ridge into the headwaters of the Cheekeye River. Roll roll roll bounce smack boom!

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
where was your best ever trundle?

Doug Wilm and I pushed some house sized boulders down the 2000' north face of Scuzzy Mountain once and started a rock avalanche. That was supremely fulfilling. Smoke and dust and that gunpowder smell. Also got some good velocity chucking volcanic bombs down a huge dirt slope on Brohm Ridge into the headwaters of the Cheekeye River. Roll roll roll bounce smack boom!

The top of Toketie Wall. Super trundles by Dan almost to the lake shocked.gif" border="0 Only about 700 feet but very gratifying. grin.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by James:
caveman. i was at castle that day the walkie talkie came u tumblin' down... and it DID hit me.
mad.gif" border="0
i had no idea they were mtnr's. i can't remember exactly but i think she didn't yell anything b/c she didn't know what to call out... radio? wtf! its like when you're rock climbing and something falls... rock! bitch! rock!
wink.gif" border="0

She was topping out and asked me if I thought her walkie talkie was still intact. Stupid! She told me she was going to go and look for it too. I told her "it's probably in many little pieces and not usable anymore". Still she wanted to get it confirming the intelligence was low!

Alright, I enjoy the occasional dumbass mounty story as much as the next guy but some of this is getting a little ridiculous.

The mounties have as much right as any of you on any route out there. If they get there first, I say tough shit for you. The Mounties post their itineraries on the net. You're on the net right now genius, check it out. Phil Fortier's site has it linked. With that info you can avoid 'em if you really hate 'em so much or beat them to theclimb. It's not hard. One time I called up the leader of a climb posing as a member interested in signing up for the climb, just so I could get the exact details of where they'd be and when. I know some of you whiny sportos out there probably get a little bent out of shape because you don't wanna get out of bed early enough to beat theMounties to the Tooth. Then you bitch about the clusterf*k of newbies up there. Well, tell ya what. All the people soloing the Tooth, think YOU are a newbie too for using ropes. Follow Dharmabum's example. He encountered the Mounties out there, he adapted, he turned the situation to his advantage.

Captain, Bitchin' about the mounties on a 5.5 Castle Rock route? What do you expect? Ninety percent of the people on a 5.5 Castle Rock route are gumbies, likely to drop stuff. Deal with it. What were YOU doing on a 5.5 Castle route? you f'n gumby. wink.gif" border="0 Do you bitch about looserock at Vantage too?

And what a f'n hypocrite you are! "I dont like the large numbers being pumped into the mtns". How long have you been climbing? I'd bet less than 5 years. Maybe 3? If trendiness of climbing is a problem, then YOU are part of the problem.

And Erik, "chill out bro!! and you gotta see both sides of the story here dawg."??? WTF's up with that? Let's see, 13 mountie-bashing posts, 1 mountie-supporting. The one supporting was payaso and you shouted him down. You're the one who should chill out and listen to both sides of the story.

And Will, a spelling flame??? How originel.

Disclaimer: I took the Mountie basic course. I think I got some good, cheap instruction, and I also understand how some of them are a'holes. But at least they're a non-profit group, a club. I think they deserve their share of the mountains as much as any of you other key-whackin' punters. I get much more p'd off by guides making money by doing shit like comfortizing Outer Space with rapbolts.

There! Put that in yer pipe and smoke it in the Muir Hut!!! mad.gif" border="0

Chuck

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:
Alright, I enjoy the occasional dumbass mounty story as much as the next guy but some of this is getting a little ridiculous.

The mounties have as much right as any of you on any route out there. If they get there first, I say tough shit for you. The Mounties post their itineraries on the net. You're on the net right now genius, check it out. Phil Fortier's site has it linked. With that info you can avoid 'em if you really hate 'em so much or beat them to theclimb. It's not hard. One time I called up the leader of a climb posing as a member interested in signing up for the climb, just so I could get the exact details of where they'd be and when. I know some of you whiny sportos out there probably get a little bent out of shape because you don't wanna get out of bed early enough to beat theMounties to the Tooth. Then you bitch about the clusterf*k of newbies up there. Well, tell ya what. All the people soloing the Tooth, think YOU are a newbie too for using ropes. Follow Dharmabum's example. He encountered the Mounties out there, he adapted, he turned the situation to his advantage.

Captain, Bitchin' about the mounties on a 5.5 Castle Rock route? What do you expect? Ninety percent of the people on a 5.5 Castle Rock route are gumbies, likely to drop stuff. Deal with it. What were YOU doing on a 5.5 Castle route? you f'n gumby.
wink.gif" border="0
Do you bitch about looserock at Vantage too?

And what a f'n hypocrite you are! "I dont like the large numbers being pumped into the mtns". How long have you been climbing? I'd bet less than 5 years. Maybe 3? If trendiness of climbing is a problem, then YOU are part of the problem.

And Erik, "chill out bro!! and you gotta see both sides of the story here dawg."??? WTF's up with that? Let's see, 13 mountie-bashing posts, 1 mountie-supporting. The one supporting was payaso and you shouted him down. You're the one who should chill out and listen to both sides of the story.

And Will, a spelling flame??? How originel.

Disclaimer: I took the Mountie basic course. I think I got some good, cheap instruction, and I also understand how
some
of them are a'holes. But at least they're a non-profit group, a club. I think they deserve their share of the mountains as much as any of you other key-whackin' punters. I get much more p'd off by guides making money by doing shit like comfortizing Outer Space with rapbolts.

There! Put that in yer pipe and smoke it in the Muir Hut!!!
mad.gif" border="0

Chuck

Chuck bite me. I was trying to climb at Castle where I had never seen them before. Come on over dickneck and I'll drop some shit on your head and we'll see how you like it.

Like I said before I dont own the mtns but I also did not volunteer to get injured by them. Fuck off Chuck.

quote:

Originally posted by Copperhead:
I pick up the mountaineers monthly rag at their clubhouse, and use it to determine where their hoardes are going to be in the backcountry at any given time.

and plant a few land mines the day beforehand?

or you could show up in a USFS shirt (I got one for $5 at Value Village) and collect a special "large group permit fee" from them. grin.gif" border="0

I am only basing my opinion on heresay, news paper articles, dreams after eating mexican food and personal experience. All Mountaineers are bad mojo. Until I need them to rescue me, then they are my best buddies. [Moon]

We are just spraying here guys, swaping stories and whatnot. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I'll buy you a soda if it makes you feel better.

Sincerely,

Broncocurrent owner of several cascade mountains

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:
Chuck bite me. I was trying to climb at Castle where I had never seen them before. Come on over dickneck and I'll drop some shit on your head and we'll see how you like it.

Like I said before I dont own the mtns but I also did not volunteer to get injured by them. Fuck off Chuck.

NO, bite ME!

Dude, newbies drop shit. Castle Rock 5.5 is newbieland. Some newbie almost creaming you from a Castle Rock 5.5 is no reason to be railing against the Mounties in particular. It coulda been anyone? You ever dropped anything?

Chuck

quote:

The mounties have as much right as any of you on any route out there. If they get there first, I say tough shit for you. The Mounties post their itineraries on the netAnd Will, a spelling flame??? How originel.Chuck

Whatever Chuck. I, for one, value intelligence, and someone using big vocabularly in an attempt to sound knowing and righteous should at least spell the word right. Maybe the intelligence, or lack thereof, alluded to in other posts rings true.

As far as the mounties mobbing shit: Yes, they DO have as much right to the hill as me. That said, it's alot more about the attitude than the mob scene. I can certainly check the net, but the comment about "We reserved the glacier" makes my point. How the f* do you "reserve" the glacier?! More like "uh we made plans to dominate this section of the mountain with our newbies and now you are here taking up a very small place but now we can't cram all fourteen of us in here, you only left room for 12".

That and the spouting off in front of their "class" about tying knots in rap ropes, etc. If someone is obviously a newbie and honestly doesn't know better, offering a little constructive advice might be helpful: "Hey there, not trying to step on your toes here, but I thought you might have forgotten to knot your rap ropes, just wanted to give you a heads up". If they want your help at that point, they'll ask. Shooting off at the mouth in a lame attempt to impress your class with your command of skills is ridiculous when the climbers in question are probably more experienced than the entire mountie group combined and the ropes are obviously both on the ground.

It's the entitlement attitude and the know-it-all attitude that are the problem, well probably some unsafe practices too. There are certainly areas which are very conducive to teaching and usually mobbed by groups. That's great, let the groups jockey with each other for space and time. I've guided and taught for organizations (Outdoor Rec trips programs for different colleges) and I'd never take a horde of people onto something I though your "average" climber might want to climb that day. That said, I also wouldn't be harshing out someone who was rapping through my group unless they were doing some stupid shit like kicking off tons of rocks, dropping gear, or the like. I guess I'm lucky in that I've never encountered the mounties outside, although I did solo through a group from the Challenge Rock Climbing school one day on some 4th/easy 5th and the instructor with the group just alerted everyone and said something to the effect of "Hey guys, looks like there's a soloist coming up on us,he'll be through us in a few seconds, he's not roped so just stay still when he comes through and don't try what he's doing at home!". I heard him from about 30m below and while passing through said hello, thanked him and mentioned to the class that climbing ropeless is generally a bad idea. Now how f-ing hard is that to do?

quote:

NO, bite ME!

Dude, newbies drop shit. Castle Rock 5.5 is newbieland. Some newbie almost creaming you from a Castle Rock 5.5 is no reason to be railing against the Mounties in particular. It coulda been anyone? You ever dropped anything?

Chuck

Chuck it was not the first experience like that nor the 2nd nor the 3rd just one that I particularly remember. [sleep]

maybe we should let chucK demostrate the solo-fall, and when you do that chucK, please keep quiet so that anyone below you can stand there unknowingly until your [Moon] drops down on them like a ton o' bricks (that's not meant to be a fat joke wink.gif" border="0

[laf]

spray on!

If you think about the typical Mountaineer, it seems that the majority of them are city folk who want to get into Mountaineering while playing it safe. So they have no alternative but to look like silly savages on the first outings of thier lives all roped together with their names on thier helmets roped together wearing the newest plastic boots. This is a good way for them to get into the sport and do it with out really endangering themselves like they would if they did the standard clothes line and tennis shoes intro to climbing (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I did look closley at joining a few years ago and decided I didn't care for all the regulation, extra expense and prerequisite stuff. After having climbed Rainier with RMI I also didn't like the idea of being stuck with a large group of wimpy whiny (whaaa my feet are cold) yuppies who don't like me cause I am in my Danners and camo gaiters whooping it up. I also understand not everybody has had the luxery of growing up in a rural area with nothing to offer but climbin on stuff and camping out in garbage bag/duct tape tents with your "converse mountaineering boots" which rock of course [Moon]

And I am being sincere when I say mountaineers are just an easy target for those of us who are still insecure about our own climbing abilities and I am sure there are plenty of mountaineer members who could out climb me, kick my ass and would be glad to do it. Bring it on you wieners!! [Wazzup]

Bronco, Aren't you supposed to be at Index today?

Hey! I've heard "Spindex" a lot, but how come nobody calls it the 'Dex? You know sorta like they call the Adirondaks the 'Daks. Wouldn't that be cute? Sorta a double meaning, youknow, like "decking" as in "to crater".

Here's a Mountie story. I was on this Mountie trip with this crusty old leader, real smartass. Also on the trip was this airhead chick that just needed to spout continuously. No need convey any thought or communication, primary motivation appeared to be just to fill the void. You know the type? Anyway, this crusty old guy was not taking any of it. At the top we were eating our lunch and he's telling us a tale of some past epic and said "I wasn't sure we were going to get down". The airhead chick blurts out, "did you get down?", to which the old crusty guy responded, "No, we're still up there". He was a good guy. Had good advice (don't glissade ahead of the group any further than you'd be willing to walk back up), and didn't seem to be a jerk (to normal people anyway). He had this sign he hung in his car. It said "Home, Sweet Home". That way he could have a beer when he got back to the car (Mountie rules say no alcohol until you're back home I guess).

The airhead chick later ended up getting rescued via helicopter after she snowboarded down the wrong side of Pilchuck.

Chuck

Chuck said : "he's telling us a tale of some past epic and said "I wasn't sure we were going to get down". The airhead chick blurts out, "did you get down?", to which the old crusty guy responded, "No, we're still up there"." grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0[laf][laf][laf] nice! grin.gif" border="0

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]