Mountaineers

Dru

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the classes and field trips with the mounties but not the basic climbs under thier watchful eyes. I was going to but got ruffled by the attitude of the higher ups and well lets just say it got loud. Anyways I had my 3 required climbs done in a couple of weeks with people that I met on the internet(tooth,Emmons and D.C.)The instruction which I really wanted gave me enough confidence to get started but alot of the people teaching me were in the last basic class.I would study the assignment over and over so as not to be the victim of the constant threat , that we would be dropped from the course if we failed any part of it.One of the guys (instructor) in Rock 1 at the bouldering station must have weighed 300lbs. To be fair though there were a few people that were very helpful and carried themselves in the manner of which the founders of the Mounties would have been proud. Courtney, Timmy and others. Glad I got some necessary inexpensive training but I didn't renew.

quote:

Originally posted by panther:
So give that guy some training will ya! Brass Balls or Maple Pro should work well eh?

Werd up Dan you got that? We'll go up some cool offwidth or something at Index. Sagittarius to ringing flake would be a great introduction grin.gif" border="0

Brass Balls or Damnation crack are your other choices!

I think one of the main problems with the mounties basic course is their use of instructers that were basic students the year before. I'm sure there are some people who can teach after one year, but I think they are very rare.

The mounties think they are helping the intermediate students to learn more about climbing, but I don't think they are helping the basic students at all.

quote:

Originally posted by cmonster:
I've met Mountaineer members who can climb gnarly 5.12 offwidths

Graduates of Mounties courses are required to have had MOFA training. How many others out in the Mountains have had some kind of formal first aid?

My guess is that those bitching don't really know much about the club.

First, I call bullshit on the offwidth. Who, when, and what climb? There aren't a whole lot of OWs at that grade in the US, and since I have a strange love/hate with OW, I wanna know which one.

I've had WFR cert for a long time, and most of my long-time climbing partners have at least WFR if not Wilderness EMT.

And, it sounds like alot of the stories and bitching in this thread are from people who were PARTICIPATING with the mounties, not just running into them.

This is RURP.

I wonder if the Austrian army knows about these Mountaineers? They seem to like to march and take orders. Perhaps they could be used in the office or at the place where they hand out the green underwear to the new soldiers.

RURP has spoken.

This is RURP:I just read this message from a guy named Peso or like that: "Most of you twits that sit on this board daily are precisely the ones that give climbers a bad name. There is nothing worse than running into climbers with bad attitudes. Maybe it's because no one really cares about your exploits but yourselves. I am curious about some of you, what came first, the self-righteous attitude, or did it develop after years of climbing and following it up with self-aggrandising posts on message boards?"a) Yes, I do care about my Big Wall exploits. b) If you are lucky, your parents will teach you right and wrong so you will have the correct self-righteous attitude when you are quite young. It will accompany the climbing if you receive your alpine education early. And the Big Walls will teach you the rest."There is nothing worse than running into climbers with bad attitudes." Nothing worse? You must live a very special and happy life. Read the newspaper, visit Jalalabad or visit a hospital.RURP has spoken.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: RURP ]

quote:

Originally posted by AlpineK:
I think one of the main problems with the mounties basic course is their use of instructers that were basic students the year before

I wholeheartedly agree.

It might not be so bad if they were very up front about this. The mountie experience might not be so dangerous if students were very clued in how much a responsibility they have for their own survival. I think a lot of the "basics" think they are paying for a hold-your-hand guiding service. I was very complacent as a basic student. Ignorance is bliss (unless you get killed). Then when I went along for the trips the next year, I'd see rope-leaders who had been in the basic class with me. That jogged my feeble brain into some critical thinking and I realized that many of the "leaders" were at least as incompetent as myself.

Chuck

Oh, you little fembot bitches need to shut your little pie holes and GET OUT AND DO SOME CLIMBING, DAMN IT!! DRINK BEER AND CLIMB!! CLIMB HARD, CLIMB GOOD, CLIMB LIKE YOU KNOW YOU SHOULD!! ARRRRRRRGH! I'M TIRED OF IT MAN! OK, ALREADY! THE MOUNTIES SUCK FAT PENIS! NOW GET UP TO LILLOOET AND CLIMB ICE I SAY TO YOU! Climb hard and climb good and then YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE GOD DAMN MOUNTIES! TO HELL WITH THOSE FUCKING WANKERS AND TO HELL WITH ALL OF YOU! AAAAAAH, I'M FEELING REALLY VIOLENT RIGHT NOW MAN!!! I'M GONNA PUT THE HURT ON SOMEONE MAN!!! I need to [big Drink]

Coming clean, I am a graduate of the Mounties basic course and met my wife in the class. I know, I am a living stereo-type. I thought the class was good(for basic skills)and we had a great time getting to know each other in the class. I agree that it can be a herd of cattle and completely screwed up. I haven't done anything with them since the course and our memberships have expired but it assisted in giving us the basics to get out and have fun in the mountains in a relatively safe manner.

One of my horror stories - While attempting to do Eldorado for my glacier climb we somehow got lost and spent the majority of the day bushwacking before deciding to turn back towards the trailhead. We ended up back at the creek and because of melt off it was a lot higher than in the morning. The first guy barely crosses by crawling across the log, then throws a rope across to assist the rest of the group. The leader gets about halfway across, loses her footing and goes down with a full pack. She flails about and ends up about 15-20 feet down stream against a log on the opposite side of the stream, sitting on her butt with her face towards the current and water running over her head. The guy who first crossed the stream, runs down to where she is and is able to go in about knee deep and grab her by the shoulder straps and drag her out. I honestly thought we were going to watch her drown. One of my scariest moments in the mountains.

Coulden't resist one more.

Noted in the Mt. Persis summit register this fall: "Mountaineers group reached the top in good weather. All those who persevered were able to reap the benefits of the summit. Joe Schmoe, Leader"

And the next entry a few days later said:

"Then how come you didn't let them sign the summit register, jerk?"

Gave me a chuckle.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Bronco ]

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Bronco ]

Thanks for pointing that out dude.

Whoa man, I am totally stoked super sketchy now duuude. 420!

That route at index sounds "interestin" in the Sky Valley Rock book.

"Despite plenty of dirt, parts of this climb are very enjoyable" Sounds like good training for the N. Ridge of N. Peak across the river.

Another thumbs down for that group. I can't belive what idiots some of those people are. They like to drag their entire packs full of garbage up climbs. No wonder they have such a hard time. Someone should tell them to leave the kitchen sink at home and to stop kicking rocks around. Or better yet maybe some of them should take up a new hobby like basketweaving.

Wow, onto page 5 of this group. Who would have thought...

My two cents: Any large group of newbies is going to be annoying no matter where they are, be it the mounties, NOLS, outward bound, and i am sure there are a bunch of others out there. I appreciate that they do try to teach safe climbing, but do agree they take everything a bit too far considering everything has to be there way. They should realize that people are just out to have a good time, and not be anal about everything.

I don't have too much experience with them, but do with other hordes of guided newbies. And they all think they own the place. When are they all going to learn, that they are really no better than everybody else, and have no more right than you and I.

Lets just climb and have a good time, and hope we miss their classes. Check their website if you are worried about having a run in with them. and climb elsewhere.

[sleep]