Mountaineers

Dru

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The F*cking F*ckers ("mountaineers") are using hypnosis to start a cult following. I am warning you, do not touch them, do not interact with them, and do not go anywhere near them. If you do, you will surly be sucked into the trap. We need to rebel against them, plant spies within their cult, and sabotage their plans for world domination. I warn you my friends; this could be the beginning of the end.

Stand strong and fight till the death!! mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0 (also remember to drink lots of beer [big Drink][big Drink]

Mountaineers: Kiss my [Moon][Moon]

A friend of mine was teaching a group of Explorers crevasse rescue on the lower Nisqually a few years back when a huge group of Mountaineers arrived and told them they would have to leave because their club had "reserved" the glacier that day.

Once when rapping off the last pitch on Ingalls Peak South Ridge I came upon a group of 12 Mountaineers going up. As my partner started down the rope from up above...the majority of which lay in a heap at the base of the climb, their instructor told me in a very loud, animated and condesending tone, "Hey pal, why don't you do your friend a favor and tie a couple knots in the end on your rope."

This seemed intended to impress his charges. I replied, "Hey pal, why don't you do us both a favor and mind your own fuckin' business." His students were all laughing as the guy was apparently a real prick.

I ran into the mountaineers at the tooth about two years ago. The weather was really iffy and a ton of snow, so we didn't expect to see anyone. Sure enough, here came this guy and a pretty hot chick on our tails. They swarmed up to us, and announced they were the first of a group of fifteen. Realising they were able to keep up with us because we were kicking steps, we let them go ahead. We stayed close on their heels, and then ran ahead and got on the route in the most childish way possible. The hot chick watched with barely muted disapproval as my partner pulled out our "vintage" looking rack and started up. She asked me a million patronising questions, and wanted to know why Cliff wasn't stopping at the anchor points. "End to end is how we run her" I said. Finally she said we were moving smooth and fast, and did we do a lot of this? "Yeah, but usually 5.10" (sort of a lie. those are our best days). There was a distinct change her demeanor then. We made the top in about 20 minutes, then waited two hours for them so we wouldn't have to rap down on them. After two hours we decided fuck it, and started down. To make a long story short, they divided the tooth into five pitches, The first a TR, the second a fixed line, the third a fixed line, the fourth a TR, and the hot chick was trying to psych up for the last little bit. There are statements that could be made about the quality of those anchors, but why kick somebody when theyre down? When we got to the bottom, there were about six of the most apprehensive people you've ever seen. Everybody had on their "summit pack" complete with ensolite pad, stove, and all that shit. I told a few of them that they should just leave all that crap, and they'd have a lot better time, but the brainwashing was so thorough, they wouldn't do it. Also, the fact that everybody (except the hot chick leader) had their name written on masking tape stuck on their helmet, made for some comedy. "Barbara, I haven't seen you in forever? How long have you been climbing?" etc.

Here in Oregon we run into the mazamas a lot. When they ask us to take summit pics, we only take two kinds, top of heads and the sky, or all feet. Lord help the snotty club climber who leaves his camera out on the ground while he's up above. More than one person has a picture of an ass or cackenspiel that doesnt belong to them.

Anyone with good stories of mtneers please post the humor.

Although I think there is a good idea in having such a group I dont like the large numbers being pumped into the mtns. Now I just climb multi pitch cracks and rarely see their type. Mob those 4th class chosspiles I say. I'll be forging a new route or flailing up the steeper rock.

I thought it was a trend but it is here to stay. I cant believe they mobbed the Junkyard but I have never been there anyway so I dont know what it is like. I can imagine all the hazards they might create while ice climbing shocked.gif" border="0 because they are silly when they rock climb. Watching the gal this past spring nearly drop her walkie talkie on me at my first climb of a Castle Rock 5.5 was enough. I cant believe that chick made that climb into 4 pitches! I climbed past her with Geordie in tow and was glad to remove myself from the hazards of rockfall and who knows what else. I hope that she did not pass her course because I would have certainly failed her. Same day we went up Midway and dudes made it into 4 pitches as well. Geordie and I climbed avoiding them by taking the direct route.

Maybe I should intro myself as Mtnr instructor tongue.gif" border="0 Heheheh. I'll put everyone on 250'topropes and fling rocks down upon them for training. INstead of a name taped on their helmet I will put in a number.

I know climbing is all about fun but when I see those people they seem to be able to quickly remove any fun that I was having at the time. Stay away! mad.gif" border="0

They seem fine and safe when at the clubhouse though [Wazzup]

I feel really privileged to be amongst such a high caliber on-line climbing crew as you bunch! WAY cooler and with many more rights to be on the mountains than any disdainful group like the Mountaineers. Yeah, the Mountaineers can be awkward and laughable sometimes but so what. They're EVERYONE'S MOUNTAINS! The fact that you are already experienced climbers and they are not means SQUAT! Most of you twits that sit on this board daily are precisely the ones that give climbers a bad name. There is nothing worse than running into climbers with bad attitudes. Maybe it's because no one really cares about your exploits but yourselves. I am curious about some of you, what came first, the self-righteous attitude, or did it develop after years of climbing and following it up with self-aggrandising posts on message boards? [Moon]

quote:

Originally posted by payaso:
I feel really privileged to be amongst such a high caliber on-line climbing crew as you bunch! WAY cooler and with many more rights to be on the mountains than any disdainful group like the Mountaineers. Yeah, the Mountaineers can be awkward and laughable sometimes but so what. They're EVERYONE'S MOUNTAINS! The fact that you are already experienced climbers and they are not means SQUAT! Most of you twits that sit on this board daily are precisely the ones that give climbers a bad name. There is nothing worse than running into climbers with bad attitudes. Maybe it's because no one really cares about your exploits but yourselves. I am curious about some of you, what came first, the self-righteous attitude, or did it develop after years of climbing and following it up with self-aggrandising posts on message boards?
[Moon]

chill out bro!! and you gotta see both sides of the story here dawg. sounds like you are on the other side of the fence. instead of jumping everyone's shit why dont you listen for a bit and maybe learn something. that or you must be a mountie instructor so you are hard headed and am already stuck in your ways. either way take it easy and be safe.

p.s. a climbing team should consisit of no more then 4 people on really hard long routes and 3 maximum for self suffucent teams.

not 12!

quote:

...I am curious about some of you, what came first, the self-righteous attitude, or did it develop after years of climbing and following it up with self-aggrandising posts on message boards?

Oh boy, here we go.

First I learned to spell, Pie-asshole, uhh I mean payaso. Unless you be postin' from the UK, aggrandizing contains no "s".

quote:

I feel really privileged to be amongst such a high caliber on-line climbing crew as you bunch! WAY cooler and with many more rights to be on the mountains than any disdainful group like the Mountaineers. Yeah, the Mountaineers can be awkward and laughable sometimes but so what. They're EVERYONE'S MOUNTAINS! The fact that you are already experienced climbers and they are not means SQUAT! Most of you twits that sit on this board daily are precisely the ones that give climbers a bad name. There is nothing worse than running into climbers with bad attitudes. Maybe it's because no one really cares about your exploits but yourselves. I am curious about some of you, what came first, the self-righteous attitude, or did it develop after years of climbing and following it up with self-aggrandising posts on message boards?
[Moon]

Yes the mountains are everyones. But does that give an organization free will to put me in danger or in need of a rescue?

I developed my harsh tude long before climbing. I am not good at climbing but very good at ass kicking bitch. I am soo cool hehehe.

All I see above says not much about experience. More like how you gain your experience and how you gauge yourself. Turn and look at them next time you see them. I dont wanna hang with a self roughteous group of horde mongers that wont allow me to crash on the outskirts of their camping area. Yes I am the twit giving climbers a bad name rolleyes.gif" border="0 Come knock me off my pedestal grin.gif" border="0

I have seen some good people out of their group too. I just dont condone their approach of the whole outdoor experience. It ruins it for me so Payaso I'll make sure to shoot a mud falcon your way when you climb with them. tongue.gif" border="0

C'mon more mtneer bashing! [big Drink][laf]

The reason I asked the original question (do Spokane Mountaineers = seattle Montaineers AKA THE MOUNTAINEERS) is because one of the Spokane group told me they were totally different. But in terms of behaviour, they seem to perform exactly the same (ie swarm popular areas with huge hordes.) SO i wondered what the difference was? confused.gif" border="0 And what would happen if Seattle & Spokane Mountaineer hordes both showed up to top rope the same area on the same day? would they brawl it out or merge into a horde twice the size? grin.gif" border="0

payaso - nevermind

Last March me and a buddy were doing some snowshoeing above Paradise and were the first hikers out of the parking lot that morining. We headed toward Muir in thickening clouds, breaking trail in about 16" of new really soft snow. I could see a large group coming up behind us I figured to be an RMI group except they kept stopping. We kept stopping as we were in a nice whiteout and couldent tell up from down. We reached the approximate elevation of the base of Panorama Point and turned around to go down and do somthing more exiting. Of course having a trail to follow the Big group came racing up. I commented on the lack of visibility, asked the leader if they were going to keep going and he condecendingly said, "Of course, we know this mountain like the back of our hand, it's not a problem for us" and asked if I would mind if he had one of his party follow us down as he was without snowshoes and really slowing them down. I, of course, said I would and headed down twoard the parking lot with a mountie flailing about up to his crotch in the snow.

We descended almost to Paradise and found approximatly 50 new mountaineers practicing self arrest directly across the trail. This meant everybody else on that hike had to either climb 100' up the hill, 50' down the hill or wait for them to pause so we could sprint through. I asked the leader if there wasen't a better place to perform the drill with a response of "I am not having all of these mountaineers pick up and move just because you have to go around" In that time, the group we left at Pan Point had walked up behind us and acted like I was some manaiac for having hiked to Pan Point in such bad conditions. What a bunch of HOSERS! mad.gif" border="0 Rather than waste anymore time than we had we just walked away while being berated for not having nearly enough stuff hanging off of our packs, no helmets.....

All I have to say is thank God I didn't get involved in that group when I started climbing. I would need therapy by now. [hell no]

i'm actually posting something totally serious!

you know, I started climbing in 1990 with the UBC climbing and outdoors club. Over the years I have actually been in many large hordes of club climbers. i climbed needle peak with 25 people. i set up TRs and spent all day showing peopole how to belay, all those club type things. and I did have a good time doing it. but I must confess that never once did i feel that i owned the outdoors. when i had a large group of beginners top roping i had them either at some dedicated TR crag like Burgers and Fries, or at some godforsaken obscure hole like "Oh My Dog". never did i have a TR hanging down a cliff with no one climbing on it, and never did i refuse anyone who was not in my party from giving a route we had set up on a go if they didnt mind waiting until the current climber was finished. in fact the VOC was and is well known for camping out in shitty condtions up at cerise creek or wherever to ensure that anyone who came up planning to sleep in the hut would not find it full of club members. and when i did alpine trips with larger groups, usually we did not even encounter another party, and on the rare occasion we did we did not impede them in any way. and i never led any groups larger than about 4 on any technical routes - and we soloed on 4th class routes instead of fixing lines and seiging. so there!

so if we could do it why can't the mountaineers? confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0confused.gif" border="0 it sounds like they own the cascades, i wonder how they managed to buy them, and from who?