Barrier Pk

dkemp

Lots to do near the Big Kahuna. Barrier Peak is a nice scramble outing.

Two hour drive from my place in Fremont to the Owyhigh Lakes trailhead. Hiked the trail past Boundary Creek then bushwhacked north to the saddle between Buell and Barrier. Climbed snow and a little dirt to summit of Barrier.

Up close views of Tamanos, Owyhigh Lakes and Cowlitz Chimneys. Big views of the Emmons and Fryingpan Glaciers. Also views out to Goat Rocks and Adams.

Barrier is a nice objective but probably better in early May when there is more snow and less bushes to whack.

Doxey

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add a bit of spice. Come in from Cayuse and Sheep Skull Gap. Do a traverse of the whole ridge. Suggest second car if you're also doing the needle and or Tamanos. North Governor's is a scramble but there is a distinct east and north east rock face with technical merit. Rock is sound for that area.

Thanks for the idea remlec - that traverse would be a great day.

Nolanr, I dunno if White River is open. Cayuse Pass and environs does not require White River entrance. Thats one nice thing about that area - no entrance, no entrance fee - just park and go.

Went in to Owyhee Lakes on Saturday. Snowfree about 2/3 of the way in. Limited visibility. I went a little beyond the lakes, couldn't catch any glimpse of the Chimneys. Governors Ridge was playing hide and seek. Governors Needle looks pretty cool. Wasn't feeling too inspired, didn't climb anything. Have to try another day w/ better weather, or maybe approach the Chimneys from the other side, cross country from Summerland area.