How much snow near Source Lake?

cracked

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dragged a couple of old farts up the South Face of the Tooth on Friday. You'll be on snow from the source lake turnoff all the way to Pineapple pass. It's suncupped, but was so slushy in the 80 degree heat on the way down it would have been a decent ski. It was a great glissade.

As of today there is still plenty of snow heading up to Pineapple pass, but the avalanche fan heading up to Chair Peak basin is a real mess. The smooth surface has melted away leaving the old hard ice blocks, so even glissading is tricky. Some of the talus has even melted all the way out. What a difference the past two hot weeks have made! Spring is about to spring into the past.

I went up to Lundin yesterday. Lots of snow once up to the Cave Ridge saddle. Perfect for walking on, no iceaxe needed. I'd bet if I was one of you yuppie f*ck f*ck ski types, I might think it'd be worth it to haul some skis up there in my Subaru for some turns.

Bring your skiis.

I ran in for a tooth climb early this morning and noticed that if you wanted you could actually get some great skiing in if you wanted.

I hope those cool new mixed climbs (above source lake) don't attract to much attention from wilderness types.