Sleeping bag question

cracked

People (most notably Twight) claim that there exist 2lbs 20 degree synthetic sleeping bags. I can't find any that light. I weighed the TNF cat's meow, and it was right about 3lbs, and that's supposed to be the most efficient synthetic insulation around. Anybody know of a company that makes synthetic bags light? I know of none who make synthetics with the same fabrics and features as the down bags made by the likes of FF, WM, or Nunatak.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the same thing and came to the conclusion that he was either a.) smoking crack or b.) confusing his numbers. Are you set on synthetic? If not, check out the marmot helium. 1lbs 14oz (I actually confirm this weight on a scale), and 15 degrees. I've slept in it on a very cold spring night and was super warm. It's a pricey bag, but I give marmot thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif on this one.

PMS sells a bag called the andromedia strain that weighs like 1 lb 10 ounces(give or take a couple ounces cause I'm not exactly sure). Anyway its syn. bag but its only rated to 40 degrees though. I thinking about buying it though to replace my 20 degree 4lb syn bag which is to warm for what i use it for (stuff in the cascades).

My Marmot Couloir down bag weighs 1 lb, 10 oz, and is rated to 40 degrees. It is warm enough for three seasons if you wear all your extra clothes (as you should). I've been down to 25 degrees with it and was a tad cold but wouldn't have wanted to carry more weight, even so.

JoshK said:

I read the same thing and came to the conclusion that he was either a.) smoking crack or b.) confusing his numbers. Are you set on synthetic? If not, check out the marmot helium. 1lbs 14oz (I actually confirm this weight on a scale), and 15 degrees. I've slept in it on a very cold spring night and was super warm. It's a pricey bag, but I give marmot thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif on this one.

you dint consider other options: 3) dwarfs dont need long bags.

Twight was probably referring to his sub two pound fourty degree bag.

Scott Backes talked about their different sleep systems, and he said on Twight, House and his ascent of the Czech Direct route on Denali, Twight used a fourty degree synthetic bag, and Scott used a twenty degree synthetic.

I tried my sub two pound fourty degree bag for two nights in conjunction with a belay jacket on a ski traverse over Glacier Peak this weekend and slept warm.

Beck said:

Twight was probably referring to his sub two pound fourty degree bag.

Scott Backes talked about their different sleep systems, and he said on Twight, House and his ascent of the Czech Direct route on Denali, Twight used a fourty degree synthetic bag, and Scott used a twenty degree synthetic.

I tried my sub two pound fourty degree bag for two nights in conjunction with a belay jacket on a ski traverse over Glacier Peak this weekend and slept warm.

Actually, I went to the slideshow. Backes specifically said that he used a 10degree bag on Hunter, while Twight used a 20. He also said that on the Czech they had NO bags.

And in his book, he refers to a TWO pound 20degree bag. A sub 2lb 40degree bag is easy to find.

BTW, it was a great show. rockband.gif

Marmot Coulior:

Couloir Reg - 0°F • -18°C

Our favorite all-round bag; 3+ season performance with a slightly roomier mummy cut.

800 Fill Down - Twilight DryLoftâ„¢

Does marmot even make a 40 degree bag? I don't think they do? They make two lightweight 30 degree down bags and I think they make some synthetic bag for sleping in huts and hostels?

confused.gif

Just get the FF Hummingbird. 1lb 11oz and epic material is awesome!!! 20degree bag, all problems solved! I just got one as a graduation gift, and my synthetic bag will be quickly retired, I never felt really warm.

Plus if you get the epic shell from FF then you don't have to worry that much about the down gettin wet. thumbs_up.gif

stand corrected about the Backes beta, that's right, they didn't use sleeping bags, but at some point, either at the slide show, or at pub club afterwards, during most of their trips, as they dialed their systems in, that he was using about a twenty degree synthetic bag, and Twight was using a fourty degree bag... I'll putting two and two togther and imagining Twight was referring to this as a sub two pound synthetic bag.

Distel32 said:

Just get the FF Hummingbird. 1lb 11oz and epic material is awesome!!! 20degree bag, all problems solved! I just got one as a graduation gift, and my synthetic bag will be quickly retired, I never felt really warm.

I know you got it as a gift, but do you have any idea how much $$$ the Hummingbirds go for?

yup, but if you're going to be buying a lightweight synthetic bag you're going to be shelling out quite a bit of money already if you want to find a 20deg 2lb bag (if it exists). Spend the extra 50 or so and get something thats going to last you much longer and be better!

Edit: TLG, great minds think alike hahaha.gif

It was a combination graduation and bday gift.

Edited by Distel32

I'm 5'10" and it is comfortable for me! try and find someone with one of their bags and hop in and see what you think.

IMHO the extra six inches is sort of a lot if you can fit into a regular length bag, but just my thoughts, you can emila them and see what they think.

I am 6'1" so I ave to use a regular length but if you are under 6' you will be okay with a regular length. Also take a look at the swallow. I use that thing for everything short of winter overnighters including carry overs. The other bag to look at is the Vireo. The bag is right around a pound and if you bring a down jacket or vest you can stay warm up to freezing temps. Perfect for climbs like Stuart NR or Slesse NEB or if you are just trying to save weight due to an overwhelming amount of hardware in your pack.

Send me an e-mail customerservice@featheredfriends.com if you need any more questions answered.

CB

Edited by Crackbolter

The SD powernap is about the lightest I have seen. 30F - 1lb 15oz - 24oz of fill. No zipper and has a nice hood design that is big enough to where an insulated hood from a parka inside it.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/cgi-bin/driver.pl?index=113&conf=bag_show_03

when you compair it to the "hey fuck face" flight at 35F - 2lb 3oz - 15oz of fill and Standard Andromeda Strain from I.D. at 1lb 12oz and 40F, it starts to look like a rockband.gifn deal. I have the down version (moonlite) and can fit it into an XS silnylon stuff sac from GoLite, phuckin small.

I just bought the Mt. Hardwear Phantom at REI. Retails at $240.00 but I had a 25% off coupon and some dividend $. It is a 30' bag, 800 fill down and weighs 1lb-5 oz. I double checked on a scale and it was correct. 3/4 zipper. Have not used it yet so can't comment yet. I usually carry a down belay jacket so I figure to have good range with this bag.

Edited by David_Parker