Optometrist for glacier glasses?

dmattern

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I also recently bought a pair of Julbo glacier glasses from Opticus- they're great. I called them & talked to their optomotrist, who patiently answered all my dumb questions, I then faxed him my prescrip & p-p measurement, told him I needed to make it a rush order, and they shipped me the glasses within a week. No problems.

• 1 month later...

go to any optometrist and specifically ask for "glass lenses for snow and high altitude use. I have looked into this in depth and when the optitian calls the lab any reputable local lab will get your lenses from a speciality lab in Cincinnati. There are the only lab in the US that does high altitude lenses and i imagine opticus uses them as well. My lenses cost just over 120 dollars. Bring in some Julbo frames and get your glasses done cheaper, just make sure you get "high altitude glass sunglass lenses.

------------------

I went to Western Optical a number of years ago, and had them make extra dark lenses for their round "glacier" frames. They are rather dorky looking in a retro kind of way, but were reasonably priced and have side shields. They have served me well in Alaska and the Himalaya. This is a simple and local alternative.