leaving for alaska....

forrest_m

… in 4 hours. Mark “King of the Kahiltna” Westman and I are going to attempt the South Ridge of Hunter. Colin left last night for the Cassin. I guess we’re the second wave of Alaska-bound cc.commers. Wish us good weather and good snow conditions!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Got back on tuesday. Mark and I landed on the tokasitna glacier below thunder peak on monday 6/9, spent several days waiting for it to stop raining, then set out in the early am on the 12th. we reached the summit plateau of hunter around 6 pm on the 15th and the south summit a bit later. with clouds rising from the valley, we decided to skip the higher north summit in favor of finding the top of the west ridge while we had visibility. spent the 16th hydrating in our tent, and then headed down during the coldest part of the "night", arriving at kahiltna base around 6 am on the 17th after a fairly harrowing trip through the northwest basin.

we believe that this was the 3rd ascent of this route, which involves a bit of everything that alaska climbing has to offer: icefalls, mixed climbing up to M4, full-on corniced ridge traversing, long stretches of moderate ice, uncertainty and commitment, and a traverse of mt. hunter's 4-mile wide summit plateau. i'll post a longer TR when i get some photos scanned. bigdrink.gif

Marko said:

Oh man, very freaking cool Forrest! Hunter is definitely THE grandest peak I've had the pleasure of failing on. South Ridge, nice. Did you enjoy the Happy Cowboy?

Pictures man, pictures!

Cheers,

Mark

nice job.

i think happy cowboy is on south east spur, not on south ridge?