Howwit of the Olympics?

gapertimmy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on who you are asking timmy. I think Funguy and I have been talking about going the end of Aug / first of Sept.

Although I think we have had a change of plans which now has us simply flying over the general region in a small plane in order to uphold the highest of - style and standards yellaf.gif

Whatever...it's a fucking trailrun. If you want a physical challange there are plenty of other things to do that do involve going that out of the way to a beautiful place you can't even enjoy because you are huffing and puffing through it. It's a reason to chestbeat, plain and simple.

JoshK said:

Whatever...it's a fucking trailrun. If you want a physical challange there are plenty of other things to do that do involve going that out of the way to a beautiful place you can't even enjoy because you are huffing and puffing through it. It's a reason to chestbeat, plain and simple.

Whatever! Having grown up in Seattle I can honestly say that one rainforest looks like just like the next. No chestbeating just a few people looking at attempting something fairly physically demanding. To each his own.

sketchfest said:

I can honestly say that one rainforest looks like just like the next.

Wow. It's sad that you don't enjoy the environment you travel through while hiking/climbing. That's a big part of it for me.

p.s. I think the Hoh is spectacular and doesn't look much like any other non-Olympian rain forest.

The Hoh is indeed spectacular and I'm glad I finally got there last year. The downed old growth in the Western Olympics is so thick that when you walk through a sawed out gap in a downed Douglas Fir, it's like walking through a gateway in a big stone wall. However, I will confess that on the way out my feet had become so sore I could no longer take it all in with pleasure.

Damn, I thought we were about to get slammed by that topic title! Cool reading though.

There's lots I can remember from that trip, the scenery was excellent and we had great weather (not counting the shiverfest). Norman sent us some great digital photos to help remember. We did it for the challenge but the icing on the cake was getting to enjoy each other's company and the comraderie of enduring a little suffering together. If we missed out on any scenery, it was during the last stretch getting out of there but then, how much time do you exactly need to "enjoy the scenery"? Okay, time for me to stop, now my brain is thinking in Matrix-mode... "You have to let it all go, Neo. Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free Your Mind."

Chestbeating? I guess it depends on perspective, it sure does make for a good story to tell (from a guy that can't even lead 5.8). Nah, swissman and mikebell did it two hours faster and Blight says someone did it in 15 hours... THAT is a trail run.

Not for me this year, I'm too fat and lazy and school is royally kicking my ass.

-DH

194627-DSCN0372.thumb.JPG.a3b4cf4453f3115992c28fed6b1281da.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just read the thread. Funny, still the same arguments against going fast and light rolleyes.gif. Still I havn't seen anyone bringing up the time question!

Well, for me, it's not for chestbeating or even looking into physical challenges (for that, I'm adventure racing and I have a kid, who, after 2 years, still doesn't sleep the nights through, talk about not having good night sleep...).

See Josh, for me, it's a time question. I have little free time to climb and have limitations on how many days I can take off at a time.

So, if I'm not climbing something like Olympus in a day, then I can't go at all, sucks! I would also enjoy taking some more time, it's cool to hang out in the hills, but given the choice of going in a day or not going at all...., there isn't any hesitations, I go in a day.

One advantage is to enjoy the scenery too, even going long and fast, 'cause since you're going light, you're not looking at your feet half the way crushed under a 60lbs backpack. So, I'll stay in shape in order to still go climb real good stuff even if I don't have enough time to do it the "traditional" way.

I'd do it again, it was fun, but I'll go elsewhere instead.

Cheers, Olivier

You guys take flame bait too easily. smile.gif I'm all for fast n' light. I'd much rather do something in a day if I can. Sometimes I slow it down to take a break from the death marchs, but I agree, the lighter the better. It makes things so much more tolerable. A 10 mile approach with 50 pounds is utter hell. With a light pack and light shoes, it's a few hours and ain't bad at all.