Wand Length

Dan_Larson

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Dan I have no idea who the Shadow is. Face it lots of people think you suck not just me.

If you think that little Dicked guy is serious and not a jackass then you are a fool, but you do want to climb Rainier 20,000 times so I guess that speaks for itself.

Have fun with your 200 wands sucker. grin.gif" border="0

C monster we are going to camp near paradise tomorrow P.M. as we will get there shortly before the gate closes. Start up towards Muir. Sat at daybreak. We will be up there until next thr. at the most. Waiting for a weather break and in general practicing winter skills. Refresh on the Tracker etc..

Couple hints for torquing the odds your way if using GPS.

When you plot your waypoints always include the elevations from the topo, and recalibrate the GPS elevation at each waypoint. At least at the bottom and the top anyway. All the waypoints you could want at http://www.topozone.com . Enable the status bar on your browser (bottom of the screen) and the mouse pointer reads off in DMS or DD.MMSS (decimal) or UTM coordinates. Make sure to tell your GPS you're using the NAD27 datum. Spare batteries. The little map of the visible satellites in relation to your position is very helpful for getting that critical fourth lock in or around overhead cover, if your GPS has the function. if the rangers, or anyone else ever sets up a DGPS transmitter around Rainier or elsewhere, your position accuracy will drop to 3 or 4 centimeters. Access fees at work to reduce SAR costs, eh?

Cheers.

I think Dan Larson is a totally cool guy. I've heard from numerous Hooter's Girls that he's extremely well-endowed and knows how to use it. The girls tell me Dan is quite the stud muffin and their lives would be shallower without having known him. Those that have climbed with Dan tell me he's a mountain God, and has 'the right stuff' and is a true leader and inspiration. To know Dan is to love Dan, or so I'm told...course I just finished a phatty, so my judgement might be slightly askew. [Moon][sleep]

You have just changed my opinion on smoking weed . It really does bring out the truth.Well, I am off to the airport to pick up the 3 guys from New Hampshire. Things don't look good weather wise , but we knew that was a chance. Off to the Camp Muir Seminar. Hopefully in the next 6 days the weather will break long enough to at least get to the top of the ledges.

quote:

Originally posted by jeffers:
Couple hints for torquing the odds your way if using GPS.

When you plot your waypoints always include the elevations from the topo, and recalibrate the GPS elevation at each waypoint. At least at the bottom and the top anyway.

GPS elevation can't be calibrated (without some external data to calibrate from, like a DGPS signal). You just need to make sure your map and your GPS are using the same datum. Under an unobstructed sky the GPS elevation will be accurate to within +/- 25 feet or so. If you let it sit still for a few minutes the accuracy will go down to less than 10 feet.

Barometric altimeters, which some GPS units like the eTrex Summit have as a backup/alternative to the GPS elevation, do need to be calibrated - I suspect that's what you meant.

if you have a "magic" wand does that make you a fairy godmother like glinda the good? in which case why not turn some snafflehounds and a pumpkin into a coach and horses and ride to the summit in style?

my questions are: what weighs more, 1 GPS or 200 wands? How much Gu do you have to leave behind to carry those 200 wands?What does Twight say in Extreeeeeeeeeem Alpinism?why buy them when you can raid your neighbour's garden and cut your own bamboo?Can you eat them if you get snowbound? I hear bamboo shoots are good. I guess they make good firewood but probably burn up pretty fast.Why not get your avalanche poodles to drag the wands for you, that way you can carry more weed up the mountain to smoke in muir hut.

just some thoughts on this important topic. trying to contribute useful stuff in 2002!

I thought DGPS was largely irrelevant now that SA has been switched off (for the moment), unless you were doing detailed surveys. I used to us DGPS correction for an EPA survey, and accuracy was not much better than what is available from the uncorrected civilian signal today.

-Iain