Headlamps?

Thinker

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a Gemini, and it has worked really well. The battery life is freakishly long when using just the LED (something like 1100 hrs). The single LED is more than adequate for normal walking around and camp use and reading, but probably a bit weak for anything requiring better vision, like actual climbing or tricky routefinding. BD is changing the Gemini this summer to have 2 LEDs, which will cut the battery life from ~1100 hrs down to probably 600 or so, which is still WAY plenty. And with 2 LEDs, the LEDs alone should then be adequate for basic climbing stuff.

I bought a 3,000,000 candle power spotlight from the local car part store and smply use that. 20 minutes on full power, 40 minutes on half power. sure, it's not that long but I can fuckin' melt my way out of a crevasse if need be.

JoshK said:

I bought a 3,000,000 candle power spotlight from the local car part store and smply use that. 20 minutes on full power, 40 minutes on half power. sure, it's not that long but I can fuckin' melt my way out of a crevasse if need be.

Is that a LED ???

I've been using the same Petzl Arctic for 10 years. My dog chewed on the rubber cover, and it still works. Goddamn thing is like a tank. The battery pack is a little awkward, and it takes a specialized battery, but it's super bright and they seem to last forever.

On a slightly unrelated note:

I'd rather it be a 21 yr old, as I don't want to go to "federal pound me in the ass prison"

cantfocus.gif

I have the Gemini. Overall I really like it except for one major complaint: the cord connecting the battery pack to the lamp in front is too short and it won't fit over a helmet comfortably. I tried to put it on once and pulled the cord too hard; now the led mode sometimes flickers off and I need to wiggle the wire a little bit to get it to come back on. I'm planning on taking it back to REI soon for a replacement, but even still, it's a pain.

bunglehead said:

I've been using the same Petzl Arctic for 10 years. My dog chewed on the rubber cover, and it still works. Goddamn thing is like a tank. The battery pack is a little awkward, and it takes a specialized battery, but it's super bright and they seem to last forever. cantfocus.gif

Artic's rock! I've had mine for similar length. The independant battery back may seem like a pain - but I prefer it to the battery on the back of the head, because

a)That weight gets annoying

b)Increased battery life in winter.

cj001f said:

bunglehead said:

I've been using the same Petzl Arctic for 10 years. My dog chewed on the rubber cover, and it still works. Goddamn thing is like a tank. The battery pack is a little awkward, and it takes a specialized battery, but it's super bright and they seem to last forever. cantfocus.gif

Artic's rock! I've had mine for similar length. The independant battery back may seem like a pain - but I prefer it to the battery on the back of the head, because

a)That weight gets annoying

b)Increased battery life in winter.

Gospel from the choir. Mine's been exposed to rain, snow, sleet, (whatever the fuck that is), at least one beer soaking, a dog, and 350 miles of the PCT, and it is entirely dependable. I always have a backup battery, but they just seem to last. FYI, I also have a BD moonlight, and while I like it, I always reach for the Arctic first. Food for thought.