cracks in the windshield question

genepires

It is that time of the year, driving to canada and getting hit by rocks from the big semi's. I heard a bit of advice for preventing cracks from chips from spreading outwards. I thought I would see if anyone has tried this.

I heard that you could score a small line (say 1 inch long) in front of the lengthening crack (perpendicular to each other) to stop the crack from going further. Maybe with a glass cutter or a sharp ice pick.

Has anyone tried this and found it successfull?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get a crack in the windshield, the insurance company will have a professional "doctor" the end of the crack for you for free. If the crack is large enough, you can have the windshield replaced at no additional cost in premiums to you. At least that is how State Farm operates.

I would not try to score or damage the windshield otherwise -- think of warranties voided when one tinkers with electronic equipment...

I had a crack in my windshield for a few months when I got a call from American Auto-Glass saying they had a special going on of $100 off the replacement. What it came down to was that they would take a look at what your comprehensive deductable was and if it was $100 or less, the glass would be paid for in full by the insurance coverage. Without the special you would have gotten a bill for the first $100 from AAG. They did all the paperwork and came out to my apt and put in on in 1/2 an hour. It's probably worth giving them a call and see if the same deal is going on.

If you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance company you can have repairs fixed for free. If you don't, you're probably going to back about $50 if you want to repair it. If you're just looking for something temporary, you can get "windshield band-aids" which will help prevent a chip from cracking out.

yeah, i just had a company down here in Bend call up my house. They had a special where they would pay your premium, and you'd get a new windshield for free.

It was grand, I had been sitting on the cracked sheild for 9 months, waiting for the special. They came out to my house, and did it there.

I figure if companies start offering these specials competitors will have to follow suit to get business.