TR: Premature Plabfestulation A Chosscades Weekend

gapertimmy

The lifts stopped turning last week, the lycra was worn one last time for skimming across the pond, and like that, the lift serviced season had come to a sudden halt. That could only mean one thing: it was time to get plab.

DISCLAIMER: if you don't like long cheastbeating tr's, EAD, and don't read this.

Saturday: Sloggin on yer Sister

Fri afternoon, the slack jawed yokel, Cletus, returned to lovely Bend. I was able to convince him that it would be a good idea to wake up but ass early saturday am to go wank our way up south sister.

We got up to devils lake a tad after 5, and were under way by half past. The mank in the trees was nice and SOLI==D which made for some excellent skinning and we made pretty good time up to the flatz. The cloud cover and cold temps didn't look very promising:

3113sis2-med.jpg

Cletus was bustin some MAD ass on the way up, and that made us skin and a pretty good clip. We made up to the lewis glacier moraine around 8:30ish and decided to wait and bitch and moan about how the sun wasn't coming up to warm up the corniez.

Regardless of the lack of sun at that point, it was so grand to back up high again, no noise, the stillness of this lunar landscape is always amazing and worth any amount of slogging to hang out in.

We wanked our way up the last 1k' to the top and got up across the summit crater and were on top just about 11, the sun had come out, the snow was warming up, and the view was plab.

3113summitcleus-med.jpg

The ski was fahqin fantastic.

I can't really put into words but to sum it up it was plab. perfect snow, coupla inches of corn on top of a good surface, perfect temps, not slush, just freakin sweet. I'm getting wood thinking bout it. Nevertheless, the mountain looked excelent when we got back to the flats and sat staring in awe with big ass shit eatin grins at the wonderful turns we had just had.

3113sis3-med.jpg

We were able to ski all the way back to the car, and were back in bend eating some tasty indian food by 2pm. Only in the chosscades could one have some great turns, great views, and great chubs and still have time to go home and walk the dog. Fantastic, thanks Cletus, and thanks to the sun for coming out.

Sunday: Sparkin it Up

My wonderful lil lady was kind enough to lemme go play on the hill the prior day so Sunday was time to go get plab with Becky. After considering our options, we decided to take out the canoe to Sparks Lake, which I had seen the day before had just melted out.

All the normal access roads to the lake were still snowed in (Read no gapers) so we had to put in just off the cascade lks hwy in one of the feeder streams. This was plab. Winding the boat through the marsh lands on the melt off full stream, slowly working our way to sparks lake proper.

The sun was out, we had the lake to ourselves, and the views were just freakin fantastic. I spent the better part of the paddle cheastbeating and pointing out our lines from the prior day. I'll let the pictures do the talkin instead.

3113bachysparks-med.jpg

3113sout-med.jpg

3113bt-med.jpg

Here's to you chosscades bigdrink.gif

Great weekend, great memories, magical.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FKNA dood.

That was a SWEET way to kick off my June, which is sure to be choss-full (er...chock-full) of days just like that.

Our timing was so friggin plab I can't even believe how perfect the snow was, in, up, down, out. Cold on the approach, perfect for the climb, smooth for the descent, and not sticky yet for the tour out! Chestbeaters unite, we rocked that shizzy!

Thank YOU for a great day.

I'll have my pics back at the end of the week, and will surely post them!

timmy,

Is there a (relatively safe) place to park near the Devil's Lake Trailhead right now? I'm thinking about snowshoeing to South Sister on Friday. The Ranger's page evidently hasn't been updated in a week or two, the bastards.

thanks

yeah, what cletus said. in addition to road side parking, one could park at the entrance to the DL day use area, and by that interpretive sign just east of the haripin turn, plenty of parking. Not many folks have been back there, or at least not many cars.

For your viewing pleasure, Mt. Bachelor paid me to ski up to the upper lodge today and place this web cam for you guys:

cam_1.jpg

the corn is fucking great right now. i'm still planning on green lakes this weekend, so if anyone wants to stop in and ski or just chill and be plab, we'll proabably be above the main lake below the west face of broken choss, sd tent, and two dipshit dogs with us.

Fejas said:

awsome dood... any action on top of the lake? you need to start takin a fishin pole when ya hit those lake.... thumbs_up.gif

the pole is always along for the ride, but there really isn't any fish in sparks lake, lots of snaffles though, i think i even saw this crazy canadian guy chasing them around with his sausage hangin out. odd.

gapertimmy said:

Fejas said:

awsome dood... any action on top of the lake? you need to start takin a fishin pole when ya hit those lake.... thumbs_up.gif

the pole is always along for the ride, but there really isn't any fish in sparks lake, lots of snaffles though, i think i even saw this crazy canadian guy chasing them around with his sausage hangin out. odd.

I didn't think dru was in oregon that weekend... shows ya what I know... HCL.gif

perdurabo said:

Great, thanks.

I assume snowshoes are still in order? From timmy's cam shot the snow looks pretty melted on most of the approach but still looks a bit narsty on the gain.

you could probably get away without snowshoes if you leave early enough. the ridgeline to the top is exposed most of the way.

but i guess shoes may be nice for slogging across the plateau on the descent, like i said though, get an early start and you shoudl be fine w/out

• 2 years later...