Protection preference

telemarker

The more pitches I get under me, the safer I feel during a fall. If I can fall the length of my rope and not hit the ground, that's a good thing.

Most of my falls were during first ascents. A lot of those lines just didn't go the way I thought they would. I didn't know for sure until I pushed it as far as I could go. Somehow, though, I just never got excited about crags like the Coulee. It's better than not climbing. But if there is a big route or an alpine ascent to do, I'm not gonna be climbing or training on a crag.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:i figured it would be a good way to point out even falling at he crag is not "safe" and should be avoided whenever possible. a reference to the Kropp case is merely a cited instance of where a crag fall was demonstrably not safe. lots of others in ANAM. dunno what's so low about it.
thumbs_up.gif

I think that cams can be placed faster... But I would prefer to use nut/stoppers, or the tricams; just because thats whats in my rack, I still haven't added any cams to it.... it seems that you can always find a place for micros... I have used cams and if they are tight they don't wory me, but ive placed some that im glad i didnt fall on, i can honestly say that this has not happened on nuts... Ive fallen on nuts and have never had one pull...

don't know why but i always go for nuts or other passive pro before cams. A good placement is a placement regardless and that's what counts.

Doesn't matter if it's a nut or cam that pulls if you fall on it. It just matters that it didn't hold.

• 2 weeks later...
telemarker said:

The more I climb on lead, and inevitably the more I fall, I have come to appreciate good pro. Just a question to ask here: When climbing granite, would you rather fall on a bomber nut or a bomber cam of similar size? Do you feel better climbing above nut placements rather than cams?

Bomber passive pro. Nut or tricam.