50yearsago

Szyjakowski

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

OH, it is so sad that so many people feel that way. Yeah, true how many of us would go to a base camp that has 800 people in it, but still, it is Everest. The culture, the sherpas, and so many people come away with a spiritual awakening. Even if you think that it is a walk up, you have to admit that a 40' 5.10 pitch at 29,000' has to be pretty difficult.

AlpineK said:

And 39 years ago little baby Feck came into the world. bigdrink.gif

well shit damn HAPPY BIRTHDAY FECK! bigdrink.gif

n98947- IT is still sad that any "tom or sally" with enuff money can go but some poorscum like myself can't cuz i dont have the right fundage...not that i want to go climb it right now anywayS.....

A LOT of those richpeople don't belong on such a dangerous place without the proper experience.

Ursa_Eagle said:

n98947 said:

you have to admit that a 40' 5.10 pitch at 29,000' has to be pretty difficult.

where does it say that it's 5.10?

We talking 'bout that Lynn Hill Step thingamahootie up there on The Ever'st? Thing's only five-nine, people. Five-point-NINE on the Yozamight dessmal scale. But no one climbs it freestyle any more; no, they got them aid ladders right up the thing. Starbucks opening a cart up top next week, too.

Ehhh. mad.gif

n98947 said:

I have seen that in many places, but it does depend on snow conditions up there..

like where? I've never heard of it being 5.10 before. I know that Conrad Anker free soloed one of the steps on the North Ridge and placed it at 5.8, and the only way people got around that for a long time was with a snow filled chimney or ladders. Are you saying that Hillary and Norgay climbed 5.10 at 29,000 feet 50 years ago?

Szyjakowski said:

n98947- IT is still sad that any "tom or sally" with enuff money can go but some poorscum like myself can't cuz i dont have the right fundage...not that i want to go climb it right now anywayS.....

A LOT of those richpeople don't belong on such a dangerous place without the proper experience.

Point well taken. It truly is sad in that respect.

IT is still sad that any "tom or sally" with enuff money can go but some poorscum like myself can't cuz i dont have the right fundage

you could take out a loan. just look at it as an investment, you can put it on your resume and stuff ... crazy.gif

Sad sad sad. It's sad that folks with enough dough can go but that doesn't make it wrong - only fodder for which to cast an envious glance. I doubt anyone on this board would pass up the opportunity to climb Everest via any route including the "trade route."

Do your colleagues care that you've done some sick stuff in the Cascades that they've never heard of or are they more impressed with you going up DC on Rainier? I think the latter. On a far grander scale, the same goes for Everest.

It still stands as the ultimate adventurous conquest to most laypersons and therefore the ultimate epitaph. That's what we all seek in the end isn't it? A fitting epitaph? We want to be loved and adored n'est pas?

"I wanna be adored" - Stone Roses.

The real fucker here is that it's not about climbing for any of these kooks. It's about Everest The Event; it's not a culmination of outdoor experiences, learning, and preparation, it's just a thing. Just some meaningless experience with no context other than the stack of other experiences one might get by paying for them; a trip to the amusement park, the wildlife safari, whatever. It's clearly ruining the experience of actual climbers, and it's sure as fuck ruining the mountain.

Stomp gumby fakers and burn their SUVs so they can't get to the fucking airport! madgo_ron.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

The real fucker here is that it's not about climbing for any of these kooks. It's about Everest The Event; it's not a culmination of outdoor experiences, learning, and preparation, it's just a thing. Just some meaningless experience with no context other than the stack of other experiences one might get by paying for them; a trip to the amusement park, the wildlife safari, whatever. It's clearly ruining the experience of actual climbers, and it's sure as fuck ruining the mountain.

Stomp gumby fakers and burn their SUVs so they can't get to the fucking airport! madgo_ron.gifboxing_smiley.gif

this...commign from doctor bolts? sweet...mabe there is hope! rockband.gif

Flash, there is some truth to what you are saying about the fact that some may treat it like just another commodity to be sold to somebody who is looking for a thrill, and there is something sad about that fact. However, I bet the reality of what these gaper clients go through once they get over there is more like mountain climbing than some bought-and-sold amusement park ride as you seem to imply. Have you ever tried to climb a really big mountain? Even if you have a guide short roping you and a porter carrying your pack, climbing Mount Everest IS a big deal.