"I climb mountains so that you will not have to"

j_b

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Among them, Lhakpa Cela, a sherpa, broke the record, finishing the ascent from the base camp in the span of 10 hours and 15 minutes. Appa succeeded on his 13th climb, becoming the most frequent climber of Everest. A 15-year-old girl, Ming Kipa, became the youngest climber."

Wow, considering how much we heard about the roskelleys, et al. it's amazing this is the first I've heard of all of these accomplishments, which are far more impressive.

My parents hired a sherpa to help out my mom in the garden occasionanally at their old house. His name was Lopsang Sherpa, and a nicer, harder working man you would not find. He offered my father and I the opportunity to trek with him in Nepal some day. I'd like to take him up on that offer some day.

-josh

JoshK said:

"Among them, Lhakpa Cela, a sherpa, broke the record, finishing the ascent from the base camp in the span of 10 hours and 15 minutes. Appa succeeded on his 13th climb, becoming the most frequent climber of Everest."

just out of curiosity... do y'all remember that when dan - did his first rainier climb, he said that he had sprinted to the summit for time, but then walked down. people came out of the woodwork to basically say "who cares what your time was base to summit, climbing is about the round trip, etc. etc."

no disrespect to Lhakpa Cela, obviously this is an olympic-caliber athletic performance, but i wonder where are the same voices? why isn't anyone asking "what's the point of a one-way ascent time?"

forrest_m said:

JoshK said:

"Among them, Lhakpa Cela, a sherpa, broke the record, finishing the ascent from the base camp in the span of 10 hours and 15 minutes. Appa succeeded on his 13th climb, becoming the most frequent climber of Everest."

just out of curiosity... do y'all remember that when dan - did his first rainier climb, he said that he had sprinted to the summit for time, but then walked down. people came out of the woodwork to basically say "who cares what your time was base to summit, climbing is about the round trip, etc. etc."

no disrespect to Lhakpa Cela, obviously this is an olympic-caliber athletic performance, but i wonder where are the same voices? why isn't anyone asking "what's the point of a one-way ascent time?"

http://everestnews.com/everestnews3/masterspeed.htm

"He completed this ascent from Base Camp to top and reached down to Base Camp in 18 hours 20 Minutes. "

See, that’s just what I mean… 18 hours is incredibly impressive, the dude’s a freakin’ animal. I remember when erhard & loretain (sp?) did it in 43 hour RT and it was revolutionary. So why is the 10 hour time what is so widely reported, in “climbing” sources as well as mainstream ones?

Good quesiton, forrest, a bit confusing that climbing media would report just the ascent as well.

BTW, in your first post it should be "when dan made up the story about his first climb" not "when dan did his first climb" wink.gifhahaha.gif

forrest_m said:

See, that’s just what I mean… 18 hours is incredibly impressive, the dude’s a freakin’ animal. I remember when erhard & loretain (sp?) did it in 43 hour RT and it was revolutionary. So why is the 10 hour time what is so widely reported, in “climbing” sources as well as mainstream ones?

I vote for laziness - if you've ever tracked the way stories are reported in most papers today, they do fairly little original reporting/research - most of it's cut & paste assemblage of wire reports. If you've ever been quoted in a newspaper they're often not particularly accurate in quotation or fact reproduction(and that's not just the Nytimes)

Carl

• 1 year later...
... he said that he had sprinted to the summit for time, but then walked down. people came out of the woodwork to basically say "who cares what your time was base to summit, climbing is about the round trip, etc. etc."..... why isn't anyone asking "what's the point of a one-way ascent time?"

And for that matter, why limit the scope of the accomplishment? I know a character who is tremendously proud of his round-trip time on the Denny Tooth, only he includes THE DRIVE FROM SEATTLE AND BACK. That's right, he frequently advertises his U.W.-Rock-to-Tooth-summit-and-back time. Apparently driving abilities figure in to his calculation for measuring the skill of a Cascade alpinist.

• 4 weeks later...