Zugspitze

Jarred_Jackman

This is the tallest mountain in Germany. I think it's about 50 miles from Munich, anyone ever been to it? I'm going to be in Germany over xmas and my girlfriends parents booked a cabin around this mountain. I'm curious as to the routes on it and can't seem to find much info on the web that isn't in German. I know there's routes on it and I'm supposing it gets climbed in the winter. Any info on routes, guides that might have good info, personal experience. etc., would be appreciated.

thanks a lot

Jarred

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jarred,

I did the via ferrata route around 98, and the memory is way foggy, but I'll tell you what I remember.

Zugspitze (and it's neighbor Alpspitze) are in the town of Garmich-Partinkirchen, which was the site of a winter olympics in the 30's. I first tried to climb the mtn. along the standard winter route, which starts at the ski jump complex in town, and travels up a valley on the austrian border and eventually climbs relatively gentle slopes to the summit (on the ski slope side of the mountain). This is a looong way in, I was generally clueless about mtn. travel and decided to turn back when it started snowing heavily.

Later that spring, I did the via ferrata route (which was still partly snowed over - making for some spicy sections). The approach is from an adjacent town that I can't remember, and starts out walking on a tourist walkway built in a steep gorge (kinda like the flumes in NH). This via ferrata route takes a very direct line up the mtn. and has some fantastic exposure, walking on iron pegs and holding a cable when traversing across a rock wall - that kind of thing.

It took me about 8 hrs to the top I think, ... the best part of course is that when you do summit you can get something to eat in the lodge, and then buy a ticket and take the aerial tram back down.

Sorry, don't have any info on technical climbing routes, but I might have some pics of the route I took if you're interested.

-john

jja said:

It took me about 8 hrs to the top I think, ... the best part of course is that when you do summit you can get something to eat in the lodge, and then buy a ticket and take the aerial tram back down.

Edited by jordop

Thanks for the replies, but does anyone have any info on the winter climbing potential? What side to approach from, how long the routes are, etc. The only reason I'm being so specific is bc I don't want to take crampons and what not all that way if I don't need them.

thanks

Jarred

Jarred_Jackman said:

Thanks for the replies, but does anyone have any info on the winter climbing potential? What side to approach from, how long the routes are, etc. The only reason I'm being so specific is bc I don't want to take crampons and what not all that way if I don't need them.

thanks

Jarred

How can someone from 3000 miles away and 7 months from winter tell you when and if you'll need crampons on a "winter climb" of a route that is not mentioned. rolleyes.gif

jordop said:

jja said:

Man, I love that Euro shit when you can pound on the summit after a climb rockband.gif

After climbing the highest mountain in Greece, Yugoslavia, Austria, I pulled into Germany to climb the highest there. I skipped it for exactly that reason. Didn't think it worthy if you can ride a friggin tram to the top! Went hiking up this really cool slot canyon thingy instead. Being in Garmisch was almost like being in the States. Must be our military presence there.

How can somebody 300 miles away give me route beta? Easy, for somebody who's done the route before. I could give beta on the a route I've done whether it's 2 minutes away, or a thousand miles. Routes don't seem to change so much that beta from the year before eouldn't be at leave a little bit useful.

Jarred_Jackman said:

How can somebody 300 miles away give me route beta? Easy, for somebody who's done the route before. I could give beta on the a route I've done whether it's 2 minutes away, or a thousand miles. Routes don't seem to change so much that beta from the year before eouldn't be at leave a little bit useful.

Your skull is thick buddy. Did you read the part I mentioned about what route. YOU DIDNT EVEN MENTION WHAT WAY YOU WANTED TO GO UP THE MOUNTAIN SMART ASS. blush.gifsmirk.gif

Don't even let me start with the crampons comment either. I haven't even begun. hahaha.gif

Why would having a thick skull be an issue, it doesn't really reflect on a persons ability to make decisions of decipher information. Aren't you Ray Borbon, I almost went climbing with you one time, are you always this receptive? Of course I didn't mention what route I wanted to go up, or what direction, or what approach, that's the info I'm fishing for. What part of "I haven't been to Germany before" is hard for you to understand? I haven't been to Germany before, therefore don't know much about the mountains except that they're composed of earthen matter and covered with snow in the winter. Thanks for your amazingly useless information though. More often than not this sight seems to parallel the usefulness of REI. One can usually find what one is looking for if one is willing to wallow through three tons of shit and put up with assholes in the searching process.

take care

Jarred

Approach from the town of grainau, and head up towards elbsee lake. From there head to the climbing trail hochtorlenhutte. This switches back up the mountain. An then stops: thus the climbing begins. I don't know routes or grades for that matter. Limestone,avy is high in winter,blah blah fucking blah.............. bigdrink.gif

Jarred_Jackman said:

Why would having a thick skull be an issue, it doesn't really reflect on a persons ability to make decisions of decipher information. Aren't you Ray Borbon, I almost went climbing with you one time, are you always this receptive? Of course I didn't mention what route I wanted to go up, or what direction, or what approach, that's the info I'm fishing for. What part of "I haven't been to Germany before" is hard for you to understand? I haven't been to Germany before, therefore don't know much about the mountains except that they're composed of earthen matter and covered with snow in the winter. Thanks for your amazingly useless information though. More often than not this sight seems to parallel the usefulness of REI. One can usually find what one is looking for if one is willing to wallow through three tons of shit and put up with assholes in the searching process.

take care

Jarred

I like your signature.

What I am telling you is that you can walk up the bitch in gore-tex sneakers or technically climb it by some other route. So depending on the way you want to go in "winter" then , your question is retarded.

What's so useless about reality? rolleyes.gif

Got a buddy who says he thinks he was the first Amerikaner (maybe 15 yrs or so ago) to ski from at or near the summit of the Zugsp. Showed me a pic. Said he agreed to it over beers and had no idea what he'd agreed to...about crapped himself before doing it, but it was fun. Toll!

• 2 weeks later...