Glacier Glasses

skyclimb

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set of these:

CEBE

They're not cheap, but they rock. Very easy to put presecription lenses in them. They are comfortable and durable too.

I had a pair of round Julbos which I liked, but they were too large and heavy.

I always use them on snow, and as far as I am concerned, sideshileds are best. I tend to agree with Daler. Long term damage is possibile, and I'm not going to find out the hard way.

No, I'm not a doctor.

Good Luck bigdrink.gif

Rodchester said:

I have a set of these:

CEBE

They're not cheap, but they rock. Very easy to put presecription lenses in them. They are comfortable and durable too.

I had a pair of round Julbos which I liked, but they were too large and heavy.

I always use them on snow, and as far as I am concerned, sideshileds are best. I tend to agree with Daler. Long term damage is possibile, and I'm not going to find out the hard way.

No, I'm not a doctor.

Good Luck bigdrink.gif

There is a company in Colorado called Opticus. They used to advertise in all the climbing magazines and they have a website.

Opticus

They aren't cheap either but they'll give you exactly what you want, including prescription lenses. They sell Cebe and Julbo. I used to have Julbos but the frames stress too easily and the lens end up falling out. They lasted me one expedition to Denali and a summer's worth of glacial travel in the lower 48. I had to constantly rescrew the lenses in place.

I would definitely go with side shields in any glacial situation at higher altitudes. It's hard as hell to ice climb in those buggers though.

For many things now, I use a pair of Smith Bazookas with polarized lenses. They don't cut out the IR but they do a good enough job on the sun and UV for me to keep me happy. They also work much better for ice climbing when I don't feel like using goggles (i.e. an approach on a very sunny day). If I'm going above 15,000' I use the better shades.

I've been getting rxd julbos for over twenty years now, and have found out a few things about prescription sunglasses.

i'm suprised to hear the Julbo sherpas gave someone eyestrain; the company rates all their lenses as category 3 or 4 out of six on a european sunglass scale-

but as for lenses, YES, its true, glass has inherent UV blocking characteristics wheras plastic lenses will always rely on a anti UV coating that will eventually wear off the lenses

opticus is expensive, but they have got better lens options than they offered a few years ago; you can get your local optitian to do the same thing for you for less.

What to ask for is a glass sunglass lens tinted for high altitude or ocean use, with dual gradient tint, polarized coat and a mirror finish- these shoud set you back less than 150 bucks from your eyedoctor- if they say they can't get you glass, or dual gradient tint, go to a DIFFERENT optitian.

And Grey gives better color definition while an amber base tint gives you better contrast definition.

For less than high altitude sunglasses, Lenscrafters can set you up for a hundred bucks with shades good enough for a full day of skiing without eyestrain, but a bit weak on the glaciers.

and as to matts queries on cheap sunglasses, no. Cheap gas station glasses usually offer false claims of %100 UV on the lens sticker when they actually block only visible light -

and to keep in mind the UV levels due to ozone deteriation is only going to get worse, so cover up!

Allison may take offense at this beta, but i hope its helpful

Edited by Beck

• 2 weeks later...

Campmor was my pro-dealing source and I got ahold of some schnazzy Julbos there. Man I had so many problems with those glasses! Thank goodness I didn't pay full price. I've got the $39 Julbo Sherpas now and they seem to take abuse well. Extremodude does look good in those goggles though; maybe I should get some of those goggles, a tan, and learn how to ski on this Washington cement.

I decided on a pair of the REI Sp glacier glasses which are rated a 6 on a scale of 1-6. Tested them for three days earlier this week, and had a great success with them. They are a bigger design than the julbo's but I can get used to it. Eye protection was great. My eyes are still pearly white! They did cost 55$, but i am happy! rockband.gif

skyclimb said:

I decided on a pair of the REI Sp glacier glasses which are rated a 6 on a scale of 1-6. Tested them for three days earlier this week, and had a great success with them. They are a bigger design than the julbo's but I can get used to it. Eye protection was great. My eyes are still pearly white! They did cost 55$, but i am happy! rockband.gif

REI has them on sale for $37 today, bring 'em back and make them give you the difference!

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread: I'm committed to my prescription sunglasses for the time being, and would like to fit them with shields. I will go the duct tape route if necessary, but was wondering if anyone knows of a source for purchasing shields that will fit on a variety of glasses?