Menagerie

texplorer

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve only been there once, but I led the SE Corner slab on Hen rock, which was fun. There was a harder route on the North side of Hen that we top-roped. I seem to remember that line taking gear or having a bolt or two, too, so you'd prolly lead it. The coolest route I did there was the West Face Dihedrals, Direct on Rooster Rock.

There is a guide by Nick Dodge floating around out there. It has been out of print for quite some time, but can be helpful if you can find it. There is a copy at Mazama Lodge on the bookshelf if you happen to be in the Hood area. Sometimes shows up at Powell's.

The locals like the obscurity to keep it from getting crowded. They made it very clear to Tim they didnt want any beta in his book.

You could find a copy in the portland mazama library. I am lucky to have 2 of each of the printings. Why are climbers so anal about books?

About 8 years ago I was able to drive to within a mile or so of some of the formations. I was high on a ridge. I think on the north west side of the wilderness area on some old logging road. I heard the FS was going to close and/or not maintain some of these roads so you may be SOL. Just a thought. As for Books, the Clackamas County Library used to have a copy of one of the dodge books. Check it out and photo copy away. I would have to say it is not a fun place, there is no adventrue climbing, don't go wink.gif

gapertimmy said:

so its a 2-3mi hike in, would that really discourage many climbers? damn we be lazy. looks like some fun stuff, steins pillar on lsd

Yes, its 2-3mi and unrelenting 2200+ft of elevation gain. Needless to say I haven't seen alot of boulderers up there.

agreed, spaced just enough to maybe keep you alive and prevent you from littering a wilderness area with your femur. Much of that stuff was pioneered by the same folks who put up those ice axe/piton "routes" on Three Fingered Jack. yellaf.gif