Getting Stuck Cams Unstuck

catbirdseat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie said:

"Next, get behind the cam lobes with your nut tool and work the cams one by one, until it pops out...."

This is the way to go. One important attribute needed to be a good climber is mechanical inclination. You can't learn this in the gym. That's why it's important to spend a lot of time following and cleaning before you get on the sharp end.

i think the lobes are too mangled to do this... this is not booty gear but junk salvage... the lobes are melded into the sides of the crack... its a toughee... i have a 3/4 in drill bit that is long enough, but that would take about a month to drill through...

why not just hook a cable around individual parts of the junk cam and wham it out with a hammer, much like removing a pin? hooking the cable around the far right or left end of the axle should do the trick and just explode the damn thing.... if that doesn't work, try looping single cam lobes and trash them individually.

fern said:

3lb sledge, cold chisel and a funkness thumbs_up.gif ... it's a quarry after all cool.gif

when you get all the bits out you should mail them back to the manufacturer and ask for a warranty repair yellaf.gif

if i can tell what kind it uhm.. was... its a .75 BD but its pretty mangled... i was gonna try to do minimal dammage, but i guess funkness is the next logcal step... PING! yellaf.gif

USE A HAGER OR TWO TO HOOK THE LOBES.....MANIPULATE THEM THAT WAY.

I THOUGHT THAT CAM IN GNS WAS A TRANGO OR KONG OR SOME SHIT?? MAYBE A W/C TECH FRIEND.....BUT NO CAMALOT...

LAST CAMALOT I SAW THERE WAS A .5 IN THE LIZARD ROOF PITCH.

• 3 months later...

I have a special tool fabricated for cam removal.

The thing looks like a nut tool built out of 1/2'' rod stock.

It's about 24" long with a 4" hook at one end.

The idea is,

if you can't tap the lobes forward to retract them, you can bash the thing out!

Great for trade routes!

Edited by lancegranite