Getting Stuck Cams Unstuck

catbirdseat

My partner had a cam rotate on him in such a way that some of the lobes were over retracted and we had to give up on it. Some cams have holes in the lobes that facilitate hooking them with a chock pick, but this one was a smaller one that didn't have them. It was so frustrating.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1ST LESSON IS TO LEARN HOW TO PLACE THEM PROPERLY.

INSPECT B4 REMOVAL, TO SEE HOW THEY WERE PLACED.

USE TWO NUT TOOLS

USE A HAMMER AND FUNKNESS

I THINK THE MOST FUCKED UP STUCK CAM I THE WORLD IS THE ONE SOMEONE LEFT ON AIR GUITAR WHEN THEY WERE ATTEMPTING TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPEND TO THAT SWEEDISH GUY.

I MEAN IF YOU ARE PURPOSFULLY DESTROY A CAM IN THE CRACK AT LEAST REMOVE IT FROM THE CRACK. IT IS FUCKING SICKENING.

Formaldehead said:

Wrap a sling around the trigger wire, connect the sling to your harness, and weight the sling.

Next, get behind the cam lobes with your nut tool and work the cams one by one, until it pops out.

The trigger bar had actually bottomed out against the wire loop. It could not be pulled any farther. Also, the tip of the lobes were against the rock on one side. The lobes were jammed in like a passive chock.

Just tell us where it is. Someone will go get it.

There are very few cams that are really stuck. I have gotten out every stuck cam I ever found.

Pulling it sideways is a good tip too.

I like the spit idea though...

put the nut tool at one end of the axle and hammer the

thing parallel to the axle into a less restrictive spot.

A rock makes a handy hammer, though more often I use a

carabiner brass-knuckles style and punch the thing with

aggression. Better to not let them get stuck.

bad karma to knock out the old school pins. you gotta clip those old school pins on beacon rock routes, feel the energy of those hardpersons before you. yeah sure they probably won't hold a fall but it's all about the vibes, friend.

seems that your two problems of stuck cams and sewing machine leg could be combined for a positive outcome. if you get a stuck cam, just climb a bit higher and get really sketched out to jackhammer the sucker out with your heel

see there is a positive side to everything.

cbs, i checked out that cam and it looked like a funkness would be required to clean it. this treatment could have very well tweaked purty bad though. not sure abiout the girth hitching the trigger bar and bounce testing as the trigger bar had very little clearance left. at least it wasnt a camalot.

bigdrink.gif

catbirdseat said:

Excuse the clueless, but what is a funkness?

from the fish website:

THE COOL JERK:

The Cool Jerk is a length of 5/32" cable, 32" long, with a loop swaged into each end. Use it to clean Heads, RURPs, and some pins by clipping into the piece and looping the other end over your hammer head. Take a wild swipe at the air and when this baby comes taut, action is assured. The low stretch of the cable, coupled with the velocity of the hammer mass make for a mighty force at the offending piece. Plus, on those rare occasions when the piece rifles out and the whole ensemble hits you in the arm, it gives you something to think about besides your next lead. Think of it as "distraction through pain" therapy. $6.75 ea.

Bronco said:

catbirdseat said:

Excuse the clueless, but what is a funkness?

from the fish website:

THE COOL JERK:

The Cool Jerk is a length of 5/32" cable, 32" long, with a loop swaged into each end. Use it to clean Heads, RURPs, and some pins by clipping into the piece and looping the other end over your hammer head. Take a wild swipe at the air and when this baby comes taut, action is assured. The low stretch of the cable, coupled with the velocity of the hammer mass make for a mighty force at the offending piece. Plus, on those rare occasions when the piece rifles out and the whole ensemble hits you in the arm, it gives you something to think about besides your next lead. Think of it as "distraction through pain" therapy. $6.75 ea.

Funkness.gif