bandwidth vs. data transfer

thelawgoddess

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bandwidth is the data transfer rate, how fast you can transfer the data. Data transfer is the ammount of data you can transfer.

Many places will give you a data pipe and you can fill it with as much data as you can cram into it. Others will give you a fast pipe, but once you transfer X amount of data they turn it off.

Some ISPs put monthly data transfer caps on personal web sites to prevent users from bogging down servers with very popular websites. They can either bill you extra when you go over the cap, or actually disable the site for the remainder of the billing cycle. Bandwidth would be the rate at which your content is delivered. And "data transfer" in this case would be the amount you are allowed to serve in a given period. If you have a graphics-intensive or flash site for instance, you might want to be eyeing that "data transfer" limit.

The way I understand this is.... You can transfer as much data, information, webpages, blablabla; but you are restricted to the speed that it travels across the web... If its a small personal site use for entertainment(fun for you), then get something with a higher band width, so people that are checkin your site wont be like; "uh what the hell is takin so long, uh fuck this i'm outa here..."

Gordonb said:

[...]Many places will give you a data pipe and you can fill it with as much data as you can cram into it. Others will give you a fast pipe, but once you transfer X amount of data they turn it off.

okay; now i think i get it. the impression i got from iain's first post was that bandwidth had to do with speed but i wasn't sure how the host could put a cap on that. so, just so i have some idea, what kind of "usage" would put someone over a 256kbps bandwith limit?

You can't go over the limit. 256kbps is just the speed that you can download the data. It will just affect how fast you website will download. If you expect lots of visitors or are serving up large film clips you may need more. Otherwise you are probably fine. 256kbps should be fine for a personal site.

I would be more carefull about sites that say something like $50 per month for the first 10Gb then $5 for each Gb after that. That is a way to have a lot of unexpected costs.

bandwidth IS the measurement of your connection speed. Consider that cable modem clients pull in upwards of 1Mbps at times and will notice a slowdown from their usual use when they visit your page, particularly if other people are visiting your site. 256 would easily serve about 4 modem users at a time at their maximum data rate. Just depends on your content and what you want to accomplish with the site. I'd say 256 is fine if you are serving up some photos for friends to view.

thelawgoddess said:

i want to fully understand what the difference is. some sites use the term interchangeably, but the host i am looking at differentiates. they offer unlimited data transfer but limited bandwidth. so how is that going to affect what i put on my website and/or what i do with it?

How much are they charging for this?

Well I'm only asking because I currently pay $9.95 per month and it's high bandwidth (I guess...I'm on cable) but I only get 10MB per month and I'm too cheap to upgrade. Once you start uploading photos, you tend to use up your data storage pretty fast. frown.gif

this bandwidth is limited to 256kbps, which seems kind of slow, but the data transfer is unlimited. and i get 25mb of disk space. i think it's $3.33/month, but that's upgrading from a domain hosting (and email) account. i think it would be $69.99/year from scratch (including domain hosting and email).