Erden on Denali

Rodchester

Got this from a friend. I think it was taken from the website.

I received a call last night from Lisa, (14,000 ft.) base camp

manager on Denali. She called via satellite phone to say that Erden would be attempting the summit hopefully this thursday or friday, May 29-30. He has acclimatized, from what I could tell, at 16,000 and 18,000 ft. camps, and now back down at 14,000 t. waiting out a storm. She said the weather is supposed to clear for several days on Thursday, which would allow him the window of opportunity. With very long days of light, his attempt to the summit is quite possible.

I ask for your collective energy of support and good wishes that the mountain accept his summit attempt in the next few days. He has come so far in this journey, nearly 2700 miles by bicycle, and nearly 50 miles on foot to the 7000 ft. level to meet the rest of his team, then to 14,000 ft. camp last week. Our efforts of support I know will be felt, even at that altitude!!

I will update you all again, hopefully this weekend, with news of what transpires. In the meantime, please keep Erden in your thoughts and prayers. His family and I appreciate all your support.

Best wishes to all,

Nancy Board

Visit us at http://www.around-n-over.org

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great! I think I know one person on that team.

The camps are at 14K and 17K, not 16K and 18K. Some people occasionaly camp at the top of the Denali Headwall (16K), but that is rather unusual.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Dear supporters and friends!!!

I just recieved the call I had been hoping for.

Erden summitted Denali yesterday with 2 of his team members, Cory Groom and Eddie Espinosa. He sounded wonderful and everyone is in good spirits. The weather broke just for the period that they could make the summit.

Erden will be coming off the mountain with his teammates within the week. I will have more details on that in the next few days, after he gets down to the lower basecamp. So stay tuned, as I will post another update once I have the information.

Thank you all for your wishes of support! It is a good day. We are grateful.

Best regards,

Nancy

bigdrink.gif

You know....a lot of people climb Denali, and that's cool.....not many people ride their bikes from Seattle to Alaska and that takes some special stamina. But while everyone yoo-hoo's and high-five's this Erden fellow, let's not forget that he's got a nice support team propping him up, including some dudes who hiked with him from Talkeetna to the Kahiltna across bear-country and then a few other dudes who met him on the glacier and climbed the mountain with him. If he's trying to do this "Goran-Kropp" style, he's got a lot of back-up. Personally, I want to hear more about my buddy Eddie Espinoza who has spent a lot of time helping this guy. Eddie just summited Big Mac with the bicycle-man....have a beer, Eddie! . bigdrink.gif He might be hiking out with Erden. He bought a gun in case bears come after them.

- Dwayner.....sort of impressed by the bike ride but that's it.

Dwayner said:

You know....a lot of people climb Denali, and that's cool.....not many people ride their bikes from Seattle to Alaska and that takes some special stamina. But while everyone yoo-hoo's and high-five's this Erden fellow, let's not forget that he's got a nice support team propping him up, including some dudes who hiked with him from Talkeetna to the Kahiltna across bear-country and then a few other dudes who met him on the glacier and climbed the mountain with him. If he's trying to do this "Goran-Kropp" style, he's got a lot of back-up. Personally, I want to hear more about my buddy Eddie Espinoza who has spent a lot of time helping this guy. Eddie just summited Big Mac with the bicycle-man....have a beer, Eddie! . bigdrink.gif He might be hiking out with Erden. He bought a gun in case bears come after them.

i suggest charmin. or something that wont chafe yur ass so much. the_finger.gif

Just got off the phone with Chris_w. Everyone is back safe in Talkeetna -- with all their digits and body parts in tact.

They had a great time and a lot of adventure. Weather was suspect on most of the days and it sounded like they are all psyched to have been part of the trip. The hike in was a huge adventure and they were the only one of three teams to make it in via the hike route this year. Even the rangers who usually descend that way turned back and flew out last week. The bears weren't the crux, the crevasses and icefalls were. But they had a blast and definately achomplished what they set out to do. Cheers to all of you!!!

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Iain - they did run into Ryland. I think they were all doing an all night tour of the bar scene in Talkeetna last night. About 9 cc.comers in total.

Edited by ehmmic

Dwayner said:

yup...

and did erden chip his friends name in the rock at FC?

bad form. thumbs_down.gif

Hey All...Me and Chris W are sitting in an internet cafe in scenic downtown Talkeetna right now.

Erden, Squid and myself summited at 6:30 PM last Thursday, sneaking in front of a low pressure system that that turned Chris W and Jeremy Cranford back on Friday at Denali Pass. We moved from 14,200 to 17,200 on Wednesday and heard rumors of weather coming in within the next couple of days. Thursday the three of us felt sporty enough to make a go for the summit, while Chris and Jeremy decided to acclimitize one more day. We ran into Ryland Moore and Pete A's team (Rednecks on ice) on the summit ridge and reached the top within 1/2 an hour of each other.

Unfortunately high winds came in the next day, and the following day temperatures of -30 F were reported at 17,200 camp. We staggered back to 14,200 camp on Friday afternoon (Ryland's team had a mini-epic on the fixed lines involving a runaway German), then pushed to Basecamp the following day with the Rednecks, rolling in at 2 AM after an endless sufferfest of walking in a whiteout and wind with big packs and sleds on the lower glacier. The next morning we were awakened by Lisa (BC manager) yelling "TAT teams need to be ready NOW!" After stuffing bags and packs with all our crap we were , back in Talkeetna by early afternoon. The drinking then commenced bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

wave.gif

Naw, Klenke, you can be jealous of every one of us- Chris & Jeremy included.

We had a righteous time up there, and we'll all hate to return to the real world.

In a funny twist, we summitted right next to Pete A, Ryland and the rest of the 'Rednecks on Ice'. We also spent the next several days swamped in the ebb and flow of a delirious alcoholic haze, which followed us down to basecamp, to Talkeetna, through every bar in Talkeetna, including some of the seedier suburbs.

Don't get me wrong- this wasn't all fun & games. Some serious introspection went on up there- interior epics of the soul, if you will. I have discovered (thanks to Dr. Figger8) that I am a GirlScout, and a gumby. Others on the trip may have plumbed the depths of their own souls, but their discoveries remain their own.

Excuse me, for I must go now. This land of the midnight sun drives me to drink.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif