Another BC slide?

glen

Anyone have any info on another slide up in BC this weekend? I saw the tail end of a snippet about one over the weekend on the new last night. From the photo, it looked like a fairly large slide that took everything down to turf. I took a quick look around on the komo website, but didn't see anything on avalanches within the last week.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It IS still avalanche season. In the North Cascades, we heard (but didn't see) spontaneous avalanche activity of the rather loud variety on Sunday, and while the wet snow we skied didn't really propagate real avalanches so much as sluffs and very large cinnamon roll snowballs that would chase you down a ski run, there were creep cracks opening up all over the place and there was definitely that potential.

To second what MattP said, we witnessed several slides in the north cascades this weekend. One in particular was quite large. On our way out on Monday it had warmed up quite a bit and I was released two seperate slides (intentionally) by cutting slopes we needed to descend. Neither was fast enough to kill you (unless it rode you over a cliff) but it certainly highlighted the instability that the quick warming brings.

I suspect there was an error in units there, or perhap adrenalin fueled hyperbole. 20 feet of snowpack ripping out to ground sounds more reasonable.

A few years ago I think the whole snow face of Mt Slalok above Joffre Lakes pulled out in one big springtime class 4/5 . I wouldn't be surprised if a few more of these big ones come down in weeks to come. Definitely be wary of glide cracks and warm temps.

Borash said he doesn't care that his snowmobile was buried by the avalanche.

"I'm never riding it again," he vowed.

Sounds like the best of both worlds to me. No fatalities and a satsifying result.

This story is so amazing to me I can't even comprehend the full implications. Can you imagine what it must have been like afterwards to sit in a cabin with all 20 people still alive and whole?

Prelim Reports are 20 metre debris piles not a 20 metre crown. The crown is approx. 3 metres and almost a kilometer long, it did go to ground in many places. The only reason there are no fatalites is due to the heavy compacted nature of the snow, everyone just rode on top since it was to thick to really get into, some of the snow machines did get burried though.