Caught out during storm

fleblebleb

My wife and I had a total epic on a climbing trip this Saturday. Read on for the full story...

We just wanted to do some easy climbing, get some mileage and a good workout in. So we were dressed really light, with sneakers and a small backpack for our climbing shoes and a chalkbag.

Things were really cool for a while, we did some cool mid-fifth class climbing with little exposure and were having fun, but then it started to rain.

We didn't figure it would be much of a problem, but it rained progressively harder and harder until the stone was completely doused. Scary! We eventually took shelter under an overhanging wall, and a roof around the corner when the wind changed. It was pouring, we're talking buckets, cats and dogs type of rain! We were totally stuck there.

We figured we'd just have to hang out there for a while, until it stopped raining - not a big deal. That's when the first vulture showed up. Yikes! Nasty black thing flew in and sat on a stump, then later hopped off and kind of scampered closer. I bet it thought we were dead because we were sitting still to keep out of the rain. Yum, eyeballs!

That's when the thunder came. Talk about positively frightening. We never saw the lightning, so we didn't know how close, but we knew we didn't want to stay under those spires any longer. We'd have to get out of there, into the rain, in our t-shirts and shorts.

We switched shoes and got ready to move. It stopped raining, like somebody turned a faucet. My wife walked over to grab her bike and as we walked away from the UW rock we were nothing if not thankful that at least we didn't get wet. Talk about a close call.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...