Mt. Hood Southside conditions????

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just in case anybody looks....Hood southside was in good shape. Tons of people going up the hogsback and a few going up the WCR. We did see others taking a few variations to these routes. We were up a little late due to a late start to avoid the high winds on Sunday. No rock or icefall except for at the base of Crater Rock on the SW side. smile.gif

Sunday was pretty ideal conditions, seemed like way better weather than in WA. We waited out the wind a bit too, and saw a skier take a NASTY tumble down the mountain from pearly gates. Took him a long time to get all his gear, but he was ok.

TTT

I summited Iains mountain again crazy.gif.

Hey TTT....I saw that guy skiing wipe out too. He had a pretty big gash in his arm. I did not think he found one of his skis. I was just below the bergy and I kind of thought that it went in and was never to be seen again. Did you see him actually leave with two skis? That is good for him, because I would hate to have to take the slow way down after planning the fast route. There was also an old guy (70) that was going to ski down and he kept telling me that he summitted Hood 40 years ago. I wonder how that guy fared? Yes it was a nice sunny day and I have the bright red face to prove it. yelrotflmao.gif

if you saw that guy wipe out in the gates then you probably saw me ski down the old chute. It was way too icy to be skiing that stuff still. that kid is lucky to be alive. I skied over underneath Devil's Kitchen HW to look for his ski in the debris. No luck. Good to hear he found it. He was pretty shaken up about it, and rightly so.

Yes he was lucky, Iain I saw you over there helping him find the ski, which he finally did in the avi debris further up from where you guys where looking.

I was 40 yards from gates when we saw him go over and try to ski down, and fall past us.

I dont know if that 70 yo guy skied down, and I talked to him on the way up.

Yes that guy that fell was really lucky..... cantfocus.gif

TTT