The The "Mind Bomb" and Joe Jackson "Summer"

allison

When my car got burgled the other day, I lost, along with my car stereo, 21 CDs. Fortunately most of them can be replaced at no cost, but there are two that I can't get my hands on to burn. One is The The's Mind Bomb and the other is Joe Jackson's Summer in the City: Live in New York . Anyone have either of these and feeling charitable enough to burn a copy for me?

I don't want to hear any crap about copyright infringement, I bought all of the titles I lost, and replacing them in this manner is fair use.

Also looking for a reputable (!) shop that sells used or reconditioned car CD players, just need something simple with a detatchable faceplate.

None of this is being covered by insurance, and the window set me back a bit today. Thanks for help, if you can provide any! grin.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I have those same feelings Kurt, though it doesn't feel right to burn things you haven't bought.

Having said that, I can't say I've never burned a CD I didn't already own. Artists that are signed to the majors see almost none of that money, and new CDs are way too expensive. If the artists were getting, say 5 bucks a unit, it would make a pretty good argument for not burning CDs.

Matt Johnson (The The) left his major label in a major storm of dust over some of these issues a couple of years ago. The guy's my hero.

Sphinx, if you don't understand copyright laws, please MYOB. I was just expecting someone to jump all over my shizzy just for the sake of it. tongue.gif

Alison is right on this one. She owns a copyright to that music and she can replace it however possible. If the end result is an extra copy being out there in the world, that's the theives fault, not hers.

Oh yeah, and FUCK THE RIAA.

I think I can burn you Mind Bomb, if you can wait until I dig it outta storage ... a rather prescient album: "Islam is rising, the Christians mobilizing. The world is on its elbows and knees. It's forgotten the messages, now worships the creeds."

allison said:

When my car got burgled the other day, I lost, along with my car stereo, 21 CDs. Fortunately most of them can be replaced at no cost, but there are two that I can't get my hands on to burn. One is The The's Mind Bomb and the other is Joe Jackson's Summer in the City: Live in New York . Anyone have either of these and feeling charitable enough to burn a copy for me?

I don't want to hear any crap about copyright infringement, I bought all of the titles I lost, and replacing them in this manner is fair use.

Also looking for a reputable (!) shop that sells used or reconditioned car CD players, just need something simple with a detatchable faceplate.

None of this is being covered by insurance, and the window set me back a bit today. Thanks for help, if you can provide any! grin.gif

Kazaa, perhaps? Also; no renters/homeowner's insurance? Or is your deducty too high?

Bummer, anyway.

The renters insurance doesn't werk for Cds as I found out one time before, and anyway, there are some things it's better just not to contact your ins co about if you can avoid it.

I'm seeing offers to burn and mail, feel free, my friends! PM me if you can make it so and I'll send you my addy.

Funny thing: I re-bought Mind Bomb just last year at Tower Records (bought it the first time new in 86 I think) and this child that was working behind the counter was sooo impressed, and he goes "wow this is a great record, have you ever heard of the Smiths? They are rilly good too." Needless to say I demurred. yelrotflmao.gif

And yes, it still sounds great Fern, drag it out of deep storage, you'll like it as much as you remember, it's a good one. thumbs_up.gif