dakobed traverse

JoshK

Has anybody done the dakobed traverse? It's glacier peak -> tenpeak -> clarke mountain. I was thinking about this for a trip going up frostbite ridge and coming out through the white river. I'm trying to get an idea for how long, possible routes, etc...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did Clark Mountain to Thunder Creek. Some trail, some off trail when it disapeared. Had to crawl through blowdown. Found large hunters camp. Thundr creekk was too big to cross so we had to thrash up streem and cross a tributary before it was safe to cross. Getting in and out of Thunder basin is a crawl throuugh sliide alder. We saw 2 people in the 7 days we were out there in Augest. Great route. Don't remember seeing any other cars at the White river trailhead. HAVE FUN

did the tenpeak-clark section from white river trailhead. plenty of fine ridge running and side-hilling. snow slopes and pocket glaciers on the north side of the ridge will help you avoid some of the side-hilling. hitting tenpeak from high in thunder basin then traversing over chalangin (sp?) and luana to a bivy near clark took a day.

The car shuttle for this would be a real bitch. It'd probably take a day of driving madgo_ron.gif

Making the standard approach to Glacier Peak would allow one to skip climbing up and over it with many days of food and a full pack and shorten the trip somewhat. The traverse would more fun with skis I think, but I haven't investigated it that closely. I'd be intersted in going if you need a partner.

Three of us did a similar traverse several years ago. We used Routes and Rocks for information, in addition to studying maps. Rumor has it that there is a trail brushed out by hunters up Thunder Creek into the Thunder Basin. We had an ugly brush bash. I wrote a feature for Pack and Paddle on the High Thunder traverse that describes the route we took. We went in from Trinity and traveled over High Pass up the Butterfly Glacier, and then over Neyah saddle. We climbed Tenpeak Mountain on that trip. We also did a traverse from Boulder Basin to Luahna Peak a few years later. I'd be happy to email you the full reports from these trips. Send me a PM.