insignificance

iain

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Challenge for Trask: make one post without referring to gay and/or anal sex, farm animals, substance abuse, lesbians, S&M, underwear, firearms, minorities, Cooper, groping, strippers, bodily fluids, prostitutes, or Dr. Flash Amazing.

Your move, chief. yellowsleep.gif

You take all that away and you take the trask out trask. You'd have, well I'm not sure what you'd have. He'd be a ghost of his former self.

Fejas said:

yeah, and the spec of sand (our gallaxy) is one on a 100 mile log beach... un real to think of the vastness of space...

Recent observations indicate rather conclusivey that the vastness will only increase exponentially over time. Additionally, the matter that constitutes the visable universe will coallesce into black holes, which will then evaporate into sub-atomic particles. Pretty grim outlook.

catbirdseat said:

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Challenge for Trask: make one post without referring to gay and/or anal sex, farm animals, substance abuse, lesbians, S&M, underwear, firearms, minorities, Cooper, groping, strippers, bodily fluids, prostitutes, or Dr. Flash Amazing.

Your move, chief. yellowsleep.gif

You take all that away and you take the trask out trask. You'd have, well I'm not sure what you'd have. He'd be a ghost of his former self.

FDA - All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy! moon.gif

Formaldehead said:

Fejas said:

yeah, and the spec of sand (our gallaxy) is one on a 100 mile log beach... un real to think of the vastness of space...

Recent observations indicate rather conclusivey that the vastness will only increase exponentially over time. Additionally, the matter that constitutes the visable universe will coallesce into black holes, which will then evaporate into sub-atomic particles. Pretty grim outlook.

They then get spit out, where, at the other end of the univers, maybe... so does this mean that it is constantly moving? if so where do ya sapose its going? its a state that we may never get to discover... I loved astronomy, it is a science that has queshtons that are never truly anwsered...

The Question:

All I wanted to ask you is that if we put a thermometer in Space with no other light or heat source around and absolutely no background radiation there, what would it read? Would the temperature be really cold or what?

The Answer:

Yes, it would be really cold. Temperature measures the energy per "degree of freedom" (i.e. way something can move) of whatever molecules happen to be around. So, it it becomes so cold that the molecules stop all together, then this is the "absolute zero" temperature. On the Celsius Temperature Scale (i.e. water freezes at 0, and boils at 100) this takes place at -273 degrees C.

We usually use the Kelvin temperature scale, where Zero Kelvin is this "absolute zero" temperature -- or -273 degrees C. Water freezes at +273 Kelvin and water boils at +373 Kelvin.

If we put a thermometer in darkest space, with absolutely nothing around, it would first have to cool off. This might take a very very long time. Once it cooled off, it would read 2.7 Kelvin. This is because of the "3 degree microwave background radiation." No matter where you go, you cannot escape it -- it is always there.

Brrrrrrrr

trask said:

I always kinda wondered, anybody know how cold it is up there in space?

"Heat" is the motion of atoms or molecules, and the amount of "heat" is expressed as "temperature". Since there is no matter in the vacuum of space, there can be no "heat", so the terms "hot" or "cold" are inapplicable. You're question asked how cold it was in space, not in a thermometer.