Westside conditions

sastrugi

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got back from the south side this morning and found the conditions a good deal better...still, things didn't get too firm until around 3 a.m. and i doubt that'll last long...one again, on a random weekday, i passed 30 people on their way up at 5 a.m. doesn't anybody have to work other than me? fuck, now to find a way to maintain coherence for the next 8 hours... mushsmile.gif

drove up to t-line at 11 pm and left around 1130...leisurely strolll to the top, w/ no one behind me, arrived at 4 as the sun was beginning to perk up...the cracks to the left of the schrund have closed up w/ the recent snow, but the main guy is still big and open...if you fall above it you deserve to die b/c there's a huge escalator of stairs kicked in...lotta crap raining down from the wall above, some rocks the size of tennis balls...back to the car at 530 after running down the lifts (and reclimbing 200 feet after realizing i droppe dmy fucking head lamp)

highly recommend the climb before work...makes you feel kinda immortal and totally contemptous of everyday assholes

course i'm a contemptous pig anyway the_finger.gif

rbw1966 said:

He doesn't ski Iain. He hoofs it up and down.

actually running the groomed stuff w/ crampons on was a blast this morning...think it only took about 15 minutes to go from the top of the lift to the car...the mp3 player was a must here

hope the snow firms up sometime soon...i'd like to do laps on something a little more interesting than the south side ...i feel the s side route is ridiculed a tad too much perhaps, as the devils kitchen on up is quite asthetic (sans crowds of course)...would be nice to do the sandy and the north face before heading up to the big fridge though....simmer, snow, simmer!

Trudging back down the south side late yesterday morning, when temps were already in the 50s at Silcox, I would have paid just about anything for a pair of skis. Despite the new snow, we were able to do a lot of glissading, but that last mile back to the lodge just makes my head hurt.

gslater said:

Trudging back down the south side late yesterday morning, when temps were already in the 50s at Silcox, I would have paid just about anything for a pair of skis. Despite the new snow, we were able to do a lot of glissading, but that last mile back to the lodge just makes my head hurt.

Conditions were similar this morning and I share your sentiments! We summited at 7am to primo conditions up top but by the time we got to Silcox it was a slushy, mushy mess.yuk! tongue.gif