twintips?

OK, for the millionth time, we ain't talking about the damn jibbers. Read up a bit. We are talking about all the wanks who can barely ski a blue run who ride twin tips now cause they are the latest fad. I'm sure if I had some desire to land on my skis backwards than twintips would be great to me too.

Twin tip snaf.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thelawgoddess said:

JoshK said:

Most changes have been changes that actually increase performance...parabolic shaping, larger sidecuts, shorter skis, fatter skis, etc. You can't say this about twin tips.

huh? says you! plenty of jibbers would beg to differ ...

\

and to them we repsond! there is a whole mtn to ride, there is thousands of mtns to ride, there is sooooo much back country to ride! who gives a fuck about half an ice tunnel!!!!!

that is all.

erik said:and to them we repsond! there is a whole mtn to ride, there is thousands of mtns to ride, there is sooooo much back country to ride! who gives a fuck about half an ice tunnel!!!!!

that is all.

Wrong! To them respond: Do not leave that half circle at any cost! Leave the mountain to us!

JoshK said:

OK, for the millionth time, we ain't talking about the damn jibbers. Read up a bit.

yeah. why don't you read the original post that started this thread? rolleyes.gif regardless, i do think twin tips have given something of a boost to beginning/recreational skiers and those who don't even give a shit about parks or pipes. i'm not saying it's major; i'm just saying ...

ERIK, JUST BECAUSE SOME OF US LIKE TO JIB DOESN'T MEAN WE DON'T LIKE TO SHRED THE BACKCOUNTRY TOO. evils3d.gif

please folks, lets steer waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay clear of the backcountry versus jibbage versus pinhead versus rando is French for Can't Tele bullshm@ck, LOL

and back to the gear whorin! lets face it, twin tips can be nice little fatty packages for pullin down, and carvin the bc crud. AND, they are often cheaper than a traditional alpine ski. For that my friends:

JIB ON!

ExtremoMtDude said:

please folks, lets steer waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay clear of the backcountry versus jibbage versus pinhead versus rando is French for Can't Tele bullshm@ck, LOL

and back to the gear whorin! lets face it, twin tips can be nice little fatty packages for pullin down, and carvin the bc crud. AND, they are often cheaper than a traditional alpine ski. For that my friends:

JIB ON!

Seeing that this is a climbing/mountaineering site and jibbing is something that is mostly done in a ski area I think the flack you're getting is well deserved.

Ski areas are fun when there's deep pow and the avy conditions are high, but backcountry/non jibbing is what most folks here are into.

I don't know what any of you asses are talkin' bout... the pocket rocket is a big mountain back contry sled, the things are fatty... the 1080 is the park ski for Jibbin'... Personaly I like the Rossie's... Scratch FS and BC the BC is the fatty for big mountain, and the FS is the Jiber in the park... The K2 enimy is a great all mountain ski as well as the atomic stomp... if your lookin for the park get a park designed ski(scratch fs or 1080), the bindings will be place in the center of the ski creating exelent balance... you'll be able to land big tricks and better... If I where to have one set of skis that were twins, it would be the K2 or atomic... other than that I loved the FS in the park, over all the rest... check out line as well they have develope a park style twin that is supose to rock, although I have no tested this particular stick... I have tested the rest of them and If ya use them in the designed location of the mountain, all are great skis...

Fejas said:

... the pocket rocket is a big mountain back contry sled, the things are fatty...

i agree with just about everything you said, but you might be suprised how many people are using the pocket rocket as their only ski - even when they ski out of bounds only 10%-15% of the time they are on the mountain.

nice to hear from someone who's been on more of the twins. i'd been wanting to try the k2 enemy's all year, but couldn't demo them. ditto for the line's.

Yeah, the pocket is a popular ski and people use it in places its no really designed for... I think that people are unhappy with it for that reason, its great off in the steep deep... K2 enamies are fantastic as an alaround... I demoed some K2s last year...

Stefan said:

I am not a skier. But I am interested in terms you guys used. What is:

JIB or jibbing?

a Pocket Rocket?

Twintips?

just curious. thanks.

Jibbing is going backwards. Pocket Rocket is a twintip ski. Twintip means both ends are bent up.

Slope style = jibin'

to jib is to do tricks on the slope, and off of obsticals strait or switch, in a terain park usually...

The pocket rocket is a model of ski made by Salomen...

and twin tips is as it sounds; instead of having one curved tip there are two on each ski front and rear, like a snoboard, or a skateboard...

fejas knows his shit, but i just wanted to add a few things.

according to tanner hall, "If you're doing a wall ride or some urban rails in the city, that's jibbing. If you're going skiing, you're going skiing. And if you're going jibbing, you're going jibbing." there are plenty of newschoolers jibbing in the backcountry as well -- off of trees and whatnot. (going backwards is called going "switch".)

"The Pocket Rocket, one of SKI Magazine's picks for Gear of the Year in 2001-02, is one of the original big-mountain super-fat twin-tips. [...] But with sidecuts ranging from 21 down to 15 meters, it's easily the shapeliest of the super-fats. And who says deep-sidecut skis won't skid in powder? The soft and supple Rocket does. [...] It's lightweight, nimble, and noticeably soft, the better to enjoy the sensation of powder surfing. And with twin tips, it's ready to go huge off backcountry kickers." (source)

i see a lot of people skiing inbounds with the pocket rocket and loving it. personally i wasn't even that impressed with it out of bounds, but i like a ski that feels a little more solid in the tips when the ride gets rough.

Fejas said:

Tanner kicks ass.... the kids these days are goin huge; Tanner might have his work cut out for him with Pep sherdin better and better... Pep almost beat him in the X games this year, it was close...

yeah, i saw that. not in person unfortunately, but anyway. tanner is such an amazing jibber. i can't believe how effortless he makes it look! rails scare me, but i think skateboarding this summer is going to improve my freestyle skills on the snow come winter time.

rails terrify me. anytime my skis are perpendicular to the way I'm moving terrifies me. a friend and I dropped into a terrain park at T-Line and got yelled at for loitering in the "snowboard park" when my friend tried a rail slide with his tele gear yellaf.gifyellaf.gif that killed me.

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the usefullness of twin tips in the steep, tight, lines...That is when and if YOU get stuck among pecker poles in a runnel that has a bad exit , (this happens to me) and you want to be right behind where you are. Instead of the tried and true kick turn standing in place, to change direction, the twin tips or even the slightly turned up variety (what i ride), allow you to just glide backward without getting hung up, and pop off that backward motion to set your skis into the straightline exit or whatever may be next. This is longwinded, but the back tips offer something for any skier....Although, in my opinion, ANY Salomon or K2 "Freeride" skis, are unfortunately, too soft and noodley.

Sure will... rails on skis or on a board, its all just about focusing on the rail, and staring at the kick down point... as soon as your atention adverts from the rail your feet follow your eyes... trust me on this one i've had plenty of broken ribs to prove it; same go for flat spins too, if ya get horizontal, spin, and can't get your focus on the landing you're gonna eat the gound with you back, or even worse your head... this very reason is why I had to lay off of the parks for the last half of the season... bad bad concusion...