25-30 deg. down sleeping bags

David_Parker

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend checking out www.MEC.CA for good deals on down bags. I just bought this crazy hybrid down/polarguard type bag that's toasty. With the exchange rate, you get a pretty sweet deal, even with shipping, and they are fast. I order stuff on Tuesday, and it shows up on Saturday. Their return policy is awesome. Return it for any reason. I highly recommend them.

Well, here is a 30 degree bag for $250 exactly:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=13818390&parent_category_rn=4500514

they pack decent packs, but mountainsmith is new to sleeping bags as of last year.

If you believe Kelty, for $150 you can get a "25 degree" bag that's 2 pounds:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&storeId=8000&productId=47650379

Whatever, I weighed the sleeping bag (ok it was long, not regular), in the stuff sack, and it weighed 2.5lbs. Then again, the Cat's Meow was 3.5 lbs. Gear weighs too much. Then again, I'm not in shape enough either. Oh well...

Been pretty happy with the Marmot Arroyo, retails for 259$ but they are easy to find for much less. Advertised weight is 1#14 oz, can't remember what mine weighs. Compresses very small.

Another vote for the REI Sub Kilo as well. Good bag.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I think I've seen really good reviews for the mountainsmith bags. I'm a little wary about going really light though, as you'll prolly be sacrificing durability (and longetivity). I'm thinking that if I'm going to be spending $250 or so on a bag, drop the extra $50-$100 and go for a FF.