Anyone know about "The Stickle" in the Selkirks?

A friend of mine asked me how I'd go about researching information about this particular mountain:

"This is the one in the Selkirks (I believe) and I haven't had much luck finding out anything. It may be more like a high ridge rather than a pointy peak.

Where would one look to know if its a walkup deal or a rock climb? Are there trails? I sent emails to guides in the area but haven't heard back. I stopped at the National Park that is close but they didn't seem to be able to say much."

bivouac.com has no useful information about it, aside from the coordinates (it's 5k from Fairy Meadow Hut!)

I guess he's got interested in climbing it because his last name is Stickle, and it's named after a member of his family.

Dru or anyone have any insight about this?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Jia Condon and Lisa Kortals climbed a 7? pitch 5.10+ ridge on the Stickle last year.

Its gonna be in the Selkirks North guide. Should be out by July I hear. Otherwise you could consult the out of date Columbia Mts of Canada-Central ACC/AAC guide, of which there is still 1 copy kicking around on the shelf at MEC last I saw.

I believe its a gendarme-like thing, or a tower anyhow.

One approach would be to fly into Adamant Meadows from Golden and tick off a bunch of stuff there from a camp in the meadows. Sir Sandford's right there too. Or fight your way up the trail from the reach. Putnam's book still has beta from the ascents in the 30's. Or just fly into Great Cairn Hut and pull out the cardboard box underneath the bunk with all the pertinent photocopies from the old CAJs and Putnam laugh.gif

I dont think its actually named after the guy's family altho I could be wrong... it'd probably be Mt. Stickle then... a stickle is anything thorn like and pointy; the stickleback fish is so named cause of a row of pointy scales along its back, eg.