Greater new album:

Dr_Flash_Amazing

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't you the one who was trying to spread that neo-hippie bluegrass plague in some other thread?

Go light up some Nag Champa and fondle your String Cheese Incident bootlegs and space out on some really out-there jams or some shit. Leave that which rocks to those of us with enough taste to discern it, you arrhythmic drum-circling crystal lover.

OK. Well, DFA is Kazaaing some GSY!BE right now, so we'll see if you're bringing the goods or if you've got your head in the musical toilet. Although, to your credit, at least you're not pushing the latest Top 40 swill.

Lessee, we got 'Drugs in Tokyo', 'Gathering Storm', and 'Lift Your Skinny Fists ...' .

The first seems to be about 30 seconds of atonal violin noise and random thundery sound fx.

Verdict: yellowsleep.gif

The second seems to be painfully slow piano plunking laid over random voices, etc. Oh, and maybe somebody poking at a keyboard?

Verdict: yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifmadgo_ron.gif

And now for the third track, we have ... what's this? More keyboard/piano, and some faint trumpet (?), but it seems to be coalescing into an actual song (!). Some guitar ... man, it's sooooo sloooowwwww. Violins, now, but still really slow. It's the aural equivalent of waking up from anesthesia, but sans the euphoric morphinated buzz.

Verdict: actual music this time, but still yellowsleep.gif Oh, wait, there's some drums coming in now, but overall it sounds like the soundtrack to some kind of sappy romance film.

That's some snooty high-concept art music you're into there, Fence-o. Whatever turns your crank, though.

Fence_Sitter said:

oh and i was listening to the newest album of GSY!BE listen to at least a whole track all at once... it's kinda something you just have to let take over you... i dunno... its a personal thing for sure

Do they do concept album type shit? Like you gotta hear the whole thing or it doesn't make sense?

Fence_Sitter said:

mabe something more up your alley... how about interpol? that might catch your fancy...but man...less than jake? woowee... rolleyes.gif

OK; now Kazaaing some Interpol, let's see what we come up with.

And if one happens to fancy pogo-inducing goodtime ska punk with blazing buttrock guitar solos, one would find none better than LTJ. Plus how many bands out there actually give a fuck about their fans anymore?

Hey Fence, I'm a fan of Godspeed as well. It's okay, I think it's an acquired taste. Few people are really gonna dig it on the first listen.

Good call on Interpol too. I was just listening to that while grocery-getting this morning.

This Interpol band sounds kinda like the soundtrack to a funeral composed by the Talking Heads after snorting ground up Smiths records with Frank Black. Or something like that.

Sounds like something they'd listen to down at La Cruda. They've got a thing for this type of brainy indie music, and all that new-school garagey rock and stuff. Fuck, man, this song does not need to be 5+ minutes long! There's a reason punk bands keep their three-chord flailfests limited to around 2 minutes a pop. There's only so much you can do with it and still have it hold your attention. (That's 'Song 8', by the way.)

(Techno should likewise take note. Do we need to hear "funk soul brother check it out now" repeated 6,000 times in a row to the same beat? No. That Limey bitch Moby (so what if he's American; he should be British tongue.gif ) could've clipped that one down to about 45 seconds and gotten his point across. But no, he dragged it, and all his other repetetive wankfests, out to interminable length.)

OK, this song 'Modern World' sounds kinda like the Clash, except they love the USA instead of being bored with it. And maybe a dash of Doorsy atmosphere. Significantly less mopey and funereal than the last track, though. Definitely far more listenable than GSY!BE, but not likely to wind up in the Dr. Flash Amazing Compact Disc Compendium anytime soon.

FENCE,

I LIKE ALL TYPES OF MUSIC.

CEPT TECHNO AND TRACE SHIT........AND COUNTRY AND TOP 40.

THO I AM ALWAYS OPEN TO LISTENING TO NEW THINGS, BUT IF THEY SUCK I AM GONNA CALL IT HOW I SEE IT (HEAR IT IN THIS CASE)