• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
rollo

cho oyu disaster?

"Cho Oyu is the world’s 6th highest mountain and second most summited 8000m peak behind Everest. It is known for being one of the easiest 8000ers and has the lowest summit/fatality ratio of all 14, 8000m peaks. "

if this story is true, wonder if that ratio will remain so friendly?

The winds in those mountains are really strong. I know people who have been lifted off the ground while climbing there.

GII or Shishapangma would prolly take over if this is true... I certainly don't think that will stop people from climbing Cho Oyo though.

10 people would be worse than the Everest "tragedy" of 1996 that the media had such a field day with, so we'll prolly be getting more info.

frown.gif

AlpineK said:

The winds in those mountains are really strong. I know people who have been lifted off the ground while climbing there.

yeah but that happened to ME at Red Rocks once snaf.gif

Correct number of deaths on Cho Oyu.

08:20 a.m. EDT May 20, 2003

Yesterday it was reported by the GREIM; the Guardia Civil Mountain Rescue Patrol Everest expedition, the Spanish National Television and Barrabes News, that 10 climbers had perished on Cho Oyu.

After contacting the Tibetan Mountaineering Association and the Germany Embassy in China , ExplorersWeb can today confirm the correct number to be that one German climber died on Cho Oyu in an avalanche .

bigdrink.gif

shit, 1 dead, 10 dead, its only a zero rolleyes.gif

i am betting that the parents and loved ones of the other 9 would LOOOOVE to meet the reporter who rushed to net print the 10 dead story. madgo_ron.gif

JoshK said:

Does anybody else find mounteverest.net a complete wankfest?

Totally. BS.