Dumbest thing you ever did climbing

Sloth_Man

One time my budy Mike and I did a multi pitch 5.8 at Josh (don't remember the name, but it's popular). After leading the second 5.8 pitch he gets to the top and realizes he didn't double back his harness. I know he wasn't on belay, but I wonder to what extent was I on belay??

My episode was on a manky sport route at Williamson. My buddy of the time was chatting with his girl friend while belaying me, so I thought I'd teach him a lesson. I topped out clipped the anchors and jumped off. Well he didn't exactly have a good hold on the belay and dropped me about 40 or 50 feet. He had one of them funky belay devices and the rope just ran through his hand and through the device until he let up his hand and the device caught me about five feet from the ground.

Talk about two potential Darwin awards candidates.

Ok, so I've confessed. Let's here 'em.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Dumb thing:

I rap'd off the end of the rope after doing an ice climb.

As I got near the bottom I heard in my head someone yell "you're at the end of the rope" as the rope slipped through my break hand. I grabbed at the rope above the the fig'8 and swung my front points in just in time.

So I figured that one of my buds had seen me and yelled out, except there was nobody there and no one around me. Freaky.

Sloth_Man, you really taught him a lesson didn't you?

"My episode was on a manky sport route at Williamson. My buddy of the time was chatting with his girl friend while belaying me, so I thought I'd teach him a lesson. I topped out clipped the anchors and jumped off. Well he didn't exactly have a good hold on the belay and dropped me about 40 or 50 feet. He had one of them funky belay devices and the rope just ran through his hand and through the device until he let up his hand and the device caught me about five feet from the ground"

Those "funky belay devices" you refer to. You must mean anything other than a GriGri.

Practicing aid climbing a couple years ago on a bolt ladder in the gymnasium at PLU. For some reason, we had the middle of the rope attached to the rafters, and for some reason, I was rapelling on it. Only one of the ends touched the ground, and I carefully picked the correct strand and started to rappel. Halfway down, I realize I somehow picked the rope that didn't touch the ground just in time to watch the end go through the atc. I instinctively grab the line that does touch the ground with my other hand, and proceed to take the express way to the deck. No injuries except my pride and some ropeburn on the hand. crazy.gifhellno3d.gifcry.gif

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

The nadir of DFA's climbing career was epicking on a sustained, devious, technical Tenino sandstone sandbag and having to get rescued from the last bolt. The ego bruises may never fully heal from that nightmare ...

Oh, the horror.

cry.gif

DFA just used the words "epicking" and "bolt" in the same sentence. potential for a six page sprayfest i'd say... hahaha.gif

gregm said:

DFA just used the words "epicking" and "bolt" in the same sentence. potential for a six page sprayfest i'd say... hahaha.gif

Hey, man, don't draw so much attention to that shit! People might get the idea that Dr. Flash Amazing says shit like that on purpose just to see what kind of reaction it gets!

hahaha.gif

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

The nadir of DFA's climbing career was epicking on a sustained, devious, technical Tenino sandstone sandbag and having to get rescued from the last bolt. The ego bruises may never fully heal from that nightmare ...

Oh, the horror.

cry.gif

IS this OW's gem stone crag???

confused.gif

Szyjakowski said:IS this OW's gem stone crag???

confused.gif

Indeed it was, though if that's the nadir of DFA's climbing life, he's led a charmed existence. Frankly, I thought the blithe panache with which he flung himself at the testpiece was impressive. What's a little long sling off the anchor between friends, eh?

Off_White said:

Indeed it was, though if that's the nadir of DFA's climbing life, he's led a charmed existence. Frankly, I thought the blithe panache with which he flung himself at the testpiece was impressive. What's a little long sling off the anchor between friends, eh?

Please, no! The wounds are still too fresh! cry.gif

iain said:

MysticNacho said:

I instinctively grab the line that does touch the ground with my other hand, and proceed to take the express way to the deck.

Clearly you were incompetent at Donkey Kong Jr. as well. thumbs_down.gif

I am incompetent at Donkey Kong Jr. Whatchoo talking 'bout, Willis?

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Off_White said:

Please, no! The wounds are still too fresh! cry.gif

COme on DFA its allright...its not sniff rocks.... yellaf.gif

Sloth, I think we've covered this ground in the past, so I didn't want to be redundant and repeat myself by telling the same stories over and over. I think I'll save that for a more advanced old age. If you want to read some stories, give it a search in either Climbers Board or Spray, within the last year.