Weekend Warrior (ism)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found I was a weekend warrior a lot of the time last year while "livin' the life" cause most of my friends/climbing parters had M-F jobs and we could just get out on the weekends. cantfocus.gif

I agree with whoever said something like once climbing infects your sould and you become an addict it's more than a WW thing. But then who cares about labels. We're all climbers TG. "It's" in there even if we can't get out more than a couple times a week.

glen said:

I'm wayyy too lazy to look up the post, but at some point some number of months ago chucK said something along the lines of not caring what people do, as long as they are pushing themselves. If a 'livin the life' person is pushed by a 5.9, they are still 'living the life' as long as they are out there doing it. If a person is climbing hard, enjoying it, and also has other interests, it really doesn't matter if they are a WW or not.

(snip)

"I climb as hard as anyone. I just do it on easier routes."

-DMT

Thanks to Tex for putting it into perspective for those of us who chose a different path than that of the "committed" climber.

BTW, I am not a weekend warrior--due to multiple responsibilities and geographic limitations, I make it to the PNW for a week every year and climb Monday-Friday, an effort that I'm sure garners disdain from some of you. My climbing buddy and I are newbies but we know what the gear on our racks is for; and we climb hard, but not on routes that may be considered by others as hard routes.

My mission in the mountains is to have lots of fun, be safe, and not endanger myself or others while I'm doing it. If this makes me a gumbie, so be it.

Oh, yeah, and sampling local breweries is also high on the list...

bigdrink.gif

Tex thumbs_up.gif

Stephan thumbs_up.gif (I let my wife think that sometimes wink.gif)

even Allison thumbs_up.gif

In my life the mtns are like the surf WAS: for fun. Besides enabling me to maintain a family, stability, and buying power, I get a lot of damn enjoyment out of achieving career goals. Geek_em8.gifthe_finger.gif