Weekend Warrior (ism)

I don't really know why the desire to know an accepted definition of "Weeked Warrior" has been rattling around in what's left of my grey matter; but it has. I have always thought it was a somewhat derogatory term. I was on a descent with RBW1966 a while back and asked for his take. He simply said "US".

Does a non-professional climber have to climb more than 104 days a year to go beyond "weekend warrior"? I can only claim 80 in a good year. What's your defination?

or... just ignore this stupid thread (and go climb)

- cheers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terminal_Gravity said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. The person with nice new gear that doesn't know exactly what it's for. We've all seen it. laugh.gif

So, would a good example be the GPS that Joshk got from REI and then threw away on Mine Road cos he didn't know how to use it? wazzup.gif

Terminal_Gravity said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. The person with nice new gear that doesn't know exactly what it's for. We've all seen it. laugh.gif

I usually refer to those folk as gumbies or some such. The weekend warrior term really applies to those of us who hold regular 9-5 Monday thru Friday jobs and therefore cannot climb 24/7. Thus we only play on the weekends, albiet a lot of us play pretty hard on the weekends. I believe the term was created to distinguish those livin' the life as a climbing bum, and those that "sold out" by getting regular jobs and climbing only on the weekends.

I think it’s a false dichotomy to divide the climbing world into “professional climbers” and “weekend warriors.” Weekend warrior does has a pejorative ring to it and to me implies that the person has ONLY ever been a dilettante and that they ONLY do that activity every so often. As soon as climbing becomes a special part of your soul, and not just another item on your “life experience tick list,” then you are no longer a WW. Once an obsessed dirtbag climbing bum, always an obsessed dirtbag climbing bum.

Of course, I write this because I’m loath to consider myself a WW, even though I’m lucky if I can equal your 80 days a year (unless the gym counts).

its dirtbag vs. weekend warrior. having just wasted a month and a half spell of unemployment with only about 18 days of climbing over that time, i am now in negotiations to once again become a total w.w. madgo_ron.gif it sucks to have a vocation other than climbing rolleyes.gif

If my memory serves me right, the Freedom of the Hill refers to weekend warriors as someone who climbs up to 5.10 because they only have time to climb on weekends. I could look this up, but am at work right now. Personally, I think that anyone who climbs well, and by that I mean they're not flailing all over the place, deserves to be called a climber. Any ideas on what to call the rest?

Ya'll ha' fun this wick-end, ya heah?

bigdrink.gif

When I was in the army we always referred to Reservists or National Guardsmen as weekend warrior because they were in fact weekend warriors, in the very literal sense of the terminology.

I don't necessarily think its a derogatory term when applied to myself because it relatively accurate--I am only able to climb on weekends and even then not every weekend. But I am fat and lazy too.

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

If my memory serves me right, the Freedom of the Hill refers to weekend warriors as someone who climbs up to 5.10 because they only have time to climb on weekends. I could look this up, but am at work right now. Personally, I think that anyone who climbs well, and by that I mean they're not flailing all over the place, deserves to be called a climber. Any ideas on what to call the rest?

bigdrink.gif

why the hell would you believe FOTH on this when it was written by a bunch of fat old men boxing_smiley.gif who go climbing twice a year and get a hard on for drawings of dulfersitz rappels

Dru said:

Gaston_Lagaffe said:

bigdrink.gif

why the hell would you believe FOTH on this when it was written by a bunch of fat old men boxing_smiley.gif who go climbing twice a year and get a hard on for drawings of dulfersitz rappels

Didn't say I believed FOTH, just mentioning its interpretation, that's all.

allison said:

"I'm not a weekend warrior, I'm a Cascade Hard(person)"

"I'm a climber, and therefore impact the environment less than other users. Fuck that Parking Pass. Down with the man"

"hikers are the ones below treeline."

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

I'll bigdrink.gif to that!!

JGowans said:

Terminal_Gravity said:

So, would a good example be the GPS that Joshk got from REI and then threw away on Mine Road cos he didn't know how to use it? wazzup.gif

yellowsleep.gif It was mail-ordered dipshit. rolleyes.gif

i don't think its a derogatory term, just a description. when you can only climb on the weekends you have to be a warrior to fight all the people trying to get to the same mountains you are. midweek climbing is much more peaceful, and a whole different energy.

i like it because i'm a lover, not a fighter grin.gif

I have seen WW crank down some serious shit and then seen the "livin the life" guys spray about some "sick" 5.9's. I think that being a WW encompasses a great many people. There are those who climb 2-3 times per year, those who climb every weekend, and those who climb every weekend and workout in their garage in the evenings during the week. All fall into the def. of WW but can have vastly different skills.

Having climbed for over 6 months last year and be relegated to the rolls of the weekend warriors I know that your passion doesn't wane - only your bank account. Thankfully student loans help me put off the enevitable four letter word of disdain but at some point we all become W. warriors.

After all, would you want to be the 50 yr old single guy/girl that is a bad ass climber with alot of experiences. Before you answer remember all that you have is a few cool pics, memories, and alot of old gear. No family, no nest egg, no retirement plan. Unless your a trust-a-farian your destined to at least some time in the Weekend Warrior status. And even if you do have money most people want to have some life outside climbing. So there you have it. The reason why we are WWer's (in my humble opinion).

PS screw FOTH.

I went to skool witha guy to whom I call a weekend warrior, he only did drug on the weekend...

my self am defenately a WW, even if I do happen to climb durring my week, wich is almost never... Some one that only climbes 2-3 time a year isn't even a weekend WW status... I can't touch 80 times a year but thats cause i climb late spring through early fall exsept for the backcountry ski day during the winter, but that is skiing for me not climbing... so I think there is Gunsils, WW, hardmen/women, and dirtbag...

HCL.gif

texplorer said:

I have seen WW crank down some serious shit and then seen the "livin the life" guys spray about some "sick" 5.9's. I think that being a WW encompasses a great many people. There are those who climb 2-3 times per year, those who climb every weekend, and those who climb every weekend and workout in their garage in the evenings during the week. All fall into the def. of WW but can have vastly different skills.

Having climbed for over 6 months last year and be relegated to the rolls of the weekend warriors I know that your passion doesn't wane - only your bank account. Thankfully student loans help me put off the enevitable four letter word of disdain but at some point we all become W. warriors.

After all, would you want to be the 50 yr old single guy/girl that is a bad ass climber with alot of experiences. Before you answer remember all that you have is a few cool pics, memories, and alot of old gear. No family, no nest egg, no retirement plan. Unless your a trust-a-farian your destined to at least some time in the Weekend Warrior status. And even if you do have money most people want to have some life outside climbing. So there you have it. The reason why we are WWer's (in my humble opinion).

PS screw FOTH.

I can't think of a better way to phrase the way i feel than how tex did!

Heck, I'm a weekend warrior and don't really care if it's derogatory or not- it just doesn't matter. I usually work 6 days a week (and love what I do), but get out and do something good on my time off. It's not always climbing because I also get off on bikes, hikes, freshiez and the like. I think a better measure might be how hard a person applies themselves to what they do.

I'm wayyy too lazy to look up the post, but at some point some number of months ago chucK said something along the lines of not caring what people do, as long as they are pushing themselves. If a 'livin the life' person is pushed by a 5.9, they are still 'living the life' as long as they are out there doing it. If a person is climbing hard, enjoying it, and also has other interests, it really doesn't matter if they are a WW or not. I've also got friends who've held down full time jobs and hit 30 different climbing destinations over 23 road trips in a single year.

In other words- avoid the pigeon-hole, it misses the point.