Box Death Hollow - Utah -Beta

Drew_Jones

I'm heading to Box Death Hollow in southern Utah on June 6th. According to the ranger, only about one party per year attempts this route, as it's the hardest of it's kind in the region, but I'm hoping some of you hardmen or women has some beta for me. Specifically about bringing a wetsuit. 90% of the route is in water and the ranger recommended wetsuits to battle hypothermia, regardless of the air temperature. Has anyone done this with or without the suit??

What time of year did you go, and how long did the route take you?

Thanks

Drew

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran the Mail Trail a few years ago, and crossed Death Canyon. That was in April. But even in August, the water in the canyons is cold. Not much sunlight reaches the canyon floor, and evaporative heat loss keeps the water chilly. Definitely bring a wet suit, or semi-dry. A dry bag for your stuff, and/or a car-tire tube and bike pump are very handy for floating your pack (sounds cheesy, but it works like a charm).

I look forward to your TR.

yah E-rock, that's the place. I found the route in a book called Canyoneering 3.

Freeclimb, my TR will be in the form of a video. We're planning on recording as much as possible then editing it down to the most exciting parts, like when we all cut our arms off with pocketknives. We may eat the dismembered arms HCL.gifto one-up that other dude. blush.gif

Thanks for the beta.

Drew

Drew_Jones said:

yah E-rock, that's the place. I found the route in a book called Canyoneering 3.

Freeclimb, my TR will be in the form of a video. We're planning on recording as much as possible then editing it down to the most exciting parts, like when we all cut our arms off with pocketknives. We may eat the dismembered arms HCL.gifto one-up that other dude. blush.gif

Thanks for the beta.

Drew

Cool I've always wanted to do the upper section, I've only done the lower section. Last time I was there I saw some groups going into Upper Death Hollow from below (From the point of intersection with Boulder Mail Trail). I think more than one group does it a year, but you're almost guaranteed to have it to yourself.

The lower part of the canyon only has one real section of narrows and the rest of the hiking is only ankle deep. But the upper part is full of potholes. Have fun! Lucky bastard.

Try to do the exit onto the Escalante River early in the day because it gets hot down there by this time of year.