Dr_Flash_Amazing

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fence_Sitter said:

JGowans said:

wasn't it Einstein who thought that nationalism was the most stupid thing in the world?

hellno3d.gif

Well, I didn't quite quote him literally but I was spot on with respect to his sentiments so FS, stick that in your silly shaking head smack pipe and smoke it...

"``Nationalism is an infantile disease,'' Einstein once remarked. ``It is the measles of mankind.''

http://www.juneauempire.com/Archive/March99/031199/stories/031199/Ope_palcol.html

Another triumph for the Euro over the puny American weak minded wannabe Euro.

i am reading a book o compilations of his writings and he is saying in the first chapter that the most important thing that the U.S. has is it's nationalism... it is the thing that makes it great compared with the average european country... gimme a minute and i will find the quotes...

You must have the Texas abridged version that just says "Bush is great, God is great, Nationalism is great, were all words uttered by Albert Einstein at one time or another."

In reality they were taken from

"I like a bit o bush in the morning. In fact, I'd go so far as to say Bush is great."

"I don't believe in God which is great cos then I can work on my really funky mathematical formulae instead of going to church."

"Nationalism is a great steaming pile of horseshite."

- All attributable quotes of one A. Einstein wink.gif

I didn't put it in any context man. I just simply quoted him verbatim and left others to interpret the meaning of the words. You're the one telling me that because he said it about another country then perhaps he doesn't really mean it about every country. Is that it? That'd be an appropriate Fence Sitting attitude to take now wouldn't it?

JGowans said:

I didn't put it in any context man. I just simply quoted him verbatim and left other to interpret the meaning of the words. You're the one telling me that because he said it about another country then perhaps he doesn't really mean it about every country. Is that it? That'd be an appropriate Fence Sitting attitude to take now wouldn't it?

well it certainly makes sense... i think if i saw what was being done in the name of nationalism at the time... i would have a few derogatory things to say about it as well...

Fence_Sitter said:

JGowans said:

I didn't put it in any context man. I just simply quoted him verbatim and left other to interpret the meaning of the words. You're the one telling me that because he said it about another country then perhaps he doesn't really mean it about every country. Is that it? That'd be an appropriate Fence Sitting attitude to take now wouldn't it?

well it certainly makes sense... i think if i saw what was being done in the name of nationalism at the time... i would have a few derogatory things to say about it as well...

Fair enough. So, if we follow this train of thought, do you then have any quotes where he retracted his previous statements regarding nationalism, attributing them solely to Nazi Germany, and then said words to the effect of "Fuck yeah for nationalism U.S. style baby."

i dont think nationalism was prety for anyone during that time period (ie 1938-1940+) we entered the war not to defend the jews but to procure our own national security and our own intrests...but his laster writings have a different tone...also the earlier ones...this is evident in the 1921 interview for nieuwe Rotterdamsche Courant (about his first visit to the U.S.) where he talks of the 'spirit' of the U.S. being a great collective effort void of the jealousy that the european nations possessed. i dont know what else the 'collective spirit' would be rffering to...

Lambone said:

But didn't Einstien help develop the A-Bomb? Sounds kinda hypocritical to me...

Einstein was considered a security risk by the military coordinators of the Manhattan project. Much of his work was theoretical in nature and preceded the war.

Then again the guy wasn't always right. Witness his refusal to accept quantum randomness as fact despite demonstration of same.