Whats the best gear you have "McGuivered"?

monkeyboy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With help from my retired Boeing engineer neighbor I made a quality snow saw out of plane fuselage aluminum (perfect strength, thickness...). I cut a pattern in the blade as serrations and heat-molded a piece of PVC pipe over he handle and molded it to my hand. It has been used as a saw in Yellowstone NP and the Tatoosh. It also makes for some bad-ass samurai photos in the snow.

*i get out of the van up at hatcher's, realizing i had forgotten my boots. i suffered up bootpack, then duct-taped a bath towel around each one of my sneakers...not a lot of support, and quite a cushy ride down.

*waiting out the rain in a cave with two french girls and bag of opium-sprayed-laotian weed with nothing but matches...we poked around the bushes and found an old cigarette pack. one of the girls carefully peeled apart the paper-thin plastic foil and backing, then rolled up the goodies in the backing -them euro's will smoke just about ANYTHING...

dream.jpgNot as good as some of these others, but a buddy jammed a roll of tape under undercling on Dreamer [pictured above] to keep the rope from getting caught in the constriction. It worked too!

On my first trip up to Squamish, I found a bag of weed lying on the ground just across the street from the McDonald's. Later that day at the Smoke Bluffs we found a pack of licorice-flavored rolling papers abandoned below Flying Circus. Climbed the Smoke Bluffs Connection hoping to complete the trifecta and find an implement of fire somewhere up there. No such luck. Then when we returned to the base, all three of our packs were stolen shocked.gif" border="0

That really sucked. frown.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by philfort:
gregm made a functional pipe out of one of those little aluminum candle holders (for candle lanterns) last New Years in the Cariboo mtns.

Found a really stinky roach in the summit register of Guye Peak a few years back. Found a rusty tin can stuffed in a crack down a ways from the summit. A knife for poking holes and some matches I had. It was a really stinky roach.