American Folk Singers

JGowans

erik said:

GOWANS

IT WILL BE QUITE ENTERTAINING, THE SHOW AND THE AUDIENCE. I AM SURE YOU WILL HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME.

rockband.gifhahaha.giffruit.gif

Will it be like the Melissa Etheridge show? I went to buy the tix for Ani Defranco yesterday at around 3.30pm. There was a long long line of buff women with short haircuts as far as the eye could see. That's the first time I've felt a wee bit threatened by a large group of women. Maybe they were from Squamish and here to beat up more Americans? grin.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the best resources for old time 'folk' music from the twentieth century would be Harry Smith's "Anthology of American Folk Music" originally released in 1952, is comprised of 84 songs on 6 records, all recorded in the first half of the twentieth century. Artists like:

leadbelly, the carter family, the carolina tar heels, john hurt, the new city ramblers, the cincinnati jug band, blind willie johnson, and many others.

this collection of 'folk ' music is considered to be one of the most important music anthologies ever and has been widely considered for the last fifty years to be one of "founding documents of american music"

look for it from folkways recordings, re-released by the smithsonian institute, 1997.