• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
JGowans

American Folk Singers

I’ve been hearing some buzz about Mickey and Mitch, lately, but so far I’ve been afeared to go see them. Maybe I'll find a nice empty theatre this weekend.

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

Ani is realy raw. I like one of her albums wink.gif "I am not a pretty girl" I think is what it is called. I realy like the Indigo Girls smile.gif

I agree that Ani is really raw, but I don't think I would consider her music folk style. Except maybe the one with Utah Philips. Otherwise, she is mostly just an angry girl.

Leonard Cohen (he is the real thing)

For newer stuff check out:

Palace/Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince Billy (all the same guy) The album Days in the Wake is quintessential

Nina Nastasia

Giant Sand/Howe Gelb - especially "chore of enchantment". (2/3's of Giant Sand are now Calexico)

Leonard Cohen is Canadian.

The best American folk singers, without debate were (are?):

Mitch and Mickey

The Folksmen

The New Main Street Singers

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

don't forget Joni Mitchell smile.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

bruce cockburn

E-rock said:

Leonard Cohen (he is the real thing)

All CANADIANS. rolleyes.gif

No, he never took out American citizenship despite living there for years.... according to this biography of him anyways...

Other good Canadian folk is Gordon Lightfoot and Stan Rogers. Or Roger Whittaker.... why he's even got a song called Song For Erik yellaf.gif

Listen to kexp.org on the net or in the Seattle area at 90.3FM. Also KBCS at 91.3 from Bellvue Comunity Colage. In Everet try KSER I don't know the frequency All 3 stations are public so no fucking adds. Try npr.org they may have a folk show. In the Seattle area don't forget folklife on Menorial day weekend

June Carter Cash just passed away this afternoon (sniff) wave.gif

Fer new stuff, I'll back the Allison Krauss and Gillian Welch suggestions. How 'bout Emmy Lou?

can DFA recommend some good American Fork Music suitable for climbing in a silly 30 foot high cave and calling it the future of American sport climbing? (c. 1991)

Dru said:

can DFA recommend some good American Fork Music suitable for climbing in a silly 30 foot high cave and calling it the future of American sport climbing? (c. 1991)

yellaf.gif

A 30-foot high cave? That sounds like Hell, man!

How 'bout some American Spoon Music instead?

Now don't try to tell me June Carter Cash is Canadian! cantfocus.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Did Roger Whittaker really write a love song to Erik??

Aw man folks, what about these?

Joan Baez

Bob Dylan

Leo Kottke (best ever)

Jon Prine

John Hartford

And if you can find it, perhaps the true roots of country and folk: Jimmie Rodgers (the old one). Merle Haggard put out a cool LP in '68 of Jimmie Rodgers covers, and you can sometimes find Jimmie Rodgers compilations in good record stores. But the original recordings .. don't know where they are.

Oh yeah, and if you're willing to listen to the brits check out Richard Thompson, Linda Thompson, Sandy Denny and Fairport Convention. All good stuff.

Nanci Griffith

Johnny Cash

Gil Scott Heron, well sort of.

And I second Bob Dylan.

Paco said:

Nanci Griffith

Johnny Cash

Gil Scott Heron, well sort of.

JOHNNY CASH - Now that is one I can't get away from in my home, and I kinda like it that way. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

And I second Bob Dylan.

John Hartford was the shit. Gentle On My Mind is like the second most recorded song ever but most people think that Glen Campbell wrote it. Check out the Harford Restrospective (6 HOURS TOTAL!) here