American Folk Singers

JGowans

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

Ani is realy raw. I like one of her albums wink.gif "I am not a pretty girl" I think is what it is called. I realy like the Indigo Girls smile.gif

I agree that Ani is really raw, but I don't think I would consider her music folk style. Except maybe the one with Utah Philips. Otherwise, she is mostly just an angry girl.

Leonard Cohen (he is the real thing)

For newer stuff check out:

Palace/Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince Billy (all the same guy) The album Days in the Wake is quintessential

Nina Nastasia

Giant Sand/Howe Gelb - especially "chore of enchantment". (2/3's of Giant Sand are now Calexico)

No, he never took out American citizenship despite living there for years.... according to this biography of him anyways...

Other good Canadian folk is Gordon Lightfoot and Stan Rogers. Or Roger Whittaker.... why he's even got a song called Song For Erik yellaf.gif

Listen to kexp.org on the net or in the Seattle area at 90.3FM. Also KBCS at 91.3 from Bellvue Comunity Colage. In Everet try KSER I don't know the frequency All 3 stations are public so no fucking adds. Try npr.org they may have a folk show. In the Seattle area don't forget folklife on Menorial day weekend

Aw man folks, what about these?

Joan Baez

Bob Dylan

Leo Kottke (best ever)

Jon Prine

John Hartford

And if you can find it, perhaps the true roots of country and folk: Jimmie Rodgers (the old one). Merle Haggard put out a cool LP in '68 of Jimmie Rodgers covers, and you can sometimes find Jimmie Rodgers compilations in good record stores. But the original recordings .. don't know where they are.