American Folk Singers

JGowans

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peronaly I'd take Van Morrisons' early year over any american folk music... but here are some, Don McClean, James Taylor, America (early years), and uuuuu what ever just listen to old jazz and blues- John Lee Hooker (RIP), BB King, Ottice Redding, just to name a few of the great ones....

Fejas said:

Peronaly I'd take Van Morrisons' early year over any american folk music... but here are some, Don McClean, James Taylor, America (early years), and uuuuu what ever just listen to old jazz and blues- John Lee Hooker (RIP), BB King, Ottice Redding, just to name a few of the great ones....

Yeah, I know about all those fellas and they all are good. However, VM is Irish, Don McLean is a bit sappy, James Taylor ditto. As for BB King, Otis Redding, and John Lee Hooker, all good, but I'm more interested in finding out about the real folks singers that had something to say like Woody Guthrie, Tom Paxton, and more lately...Ani Defranco (I've never heard her stuff yet admittedly).

Ani is realy raw. I like one of her albums wink.gif "I am not a pretty girl" I think is what it is called. I realy like the Indigo Girls smile.gif

I think for realy true american folk you would be better off listening to blue grass and country.

grin.gifbigdrink.gif

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

Ani is realy raw. I like one of her albums wink.gif "I am not a pretty girl" I think is what it is called. I realy like the Indigo Girls smile.gif

I think for realy true american folk you would be better off listening to blue grass and country.

grin.gifbigdrink.gif

Good call, Old skool country/western/blue grass has more to say about the ture american folk of time past than any other form of music... Willie Fuck Nelson rockband.gif, but even older skool than him...

Fejas said:

grin.gifbigdrink.gif

Good call, Old skool country/western/blue grass has more to say about the ture american folk of time past than any other form of music... Willie Fuck Nelson rockband.gif, but even older skool than him...

GOTTA love willie and waylen (sp?) but ya, if you are looking for folk look back cool.gif another cool branch of american folk is Zitago (sp?) but I can't understand louisana french, or anyother french for that matter so the story aspect is lost on me wink.gif

Zydeco: I could never quite get into that too much when I lived down there. I guess the washboard and spoons were too distracting or something.

Good suggestions though. The cultural commentators and story tellers are what I'm looking for. Guys and gals that sang about epochal events like the gold rush, the westward migration, the discovery of oil, politics of the day, blah blah blah.

have you heard the sound track to "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" ?

Yes, that was AWESOME!! That Bluegrass sound really seems to be in vogue right now. I think a lot of modern acts are putting out similar stuff (or trying to at least)

If you're looking for folk singers: Pete Seeger, Woody and Arlo Guthrie, Freddie Hellerman, Odetta, and Joe Hickerson are a good start.

The best (IMO) of old time bluegrass collections is the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's colloboration with the masters like Doc Watson, Vassa Clements, Maybell Carter, Roy Acuff, and Flat and Scruggs. Timeless music.

Jim said:

The best (IMO) of old time bluegrass collections is the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's colloboration with the masters like Doc Watson, Vassa Clements, Maybell Carter, Roy Acuff, and Flat and Scruggs. Timeless music.

Lester isn't on that one Jim. Good though esp on vinyl.

Mr._Natural said:

Jim said:

Lester isn't on that one Jim. Good though esp on vinyl.

Oh good catch - you must be a fan. Always seem to tie them together. The 30th anniversary CD was recently released. bigdrink.gif