St. Helens Permits

swissman

Planning a quick trip to climb/ski St Helens before all the snow's gone. Because of scheduling, I might not be able to get a permit for the climb. How much do they check if you have a permit and what happens if you get caught without one? For speed, I'm thinking about the regular route via Monitor Ridge since it's the fastest drive in.

Any input?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't go from Marblemount snowpark...there is NO snow!!! I just did it for the annual mother's day thing and while it was fun, I'd go from climber's bivouc (SP?).

The snow is melting FAST and given that there just wasn't as much snow as usual, it is not a great time to ski it. Get an early start so you can rip it up before it gets too mushy. The lower part was like wet ecement on Sunday. It sucked ass.

No opinion on Rangers citing people without permits. I've never been any time other than preseason.

Good luck. bigdrink.gif

skykilo said:

There is ample snow to ski to and from Climber's Bivouac.

They save half the permits for sale upon the day, just show up at Jack's Restaurant in Cougar early in the morning (if you want to cooperate with The Man).

Did they change this? I thought half were reserved in advance by mail, and the other half are doled out in a lottery the day before and only available the day of if there were any left over from the lottery (unlikely on a weekend day). Makes it a real pain to cooperate with the system when its only an hour and a half away and there's no reason to drive up the night before...

Thanks for the info.

I've seen about the lottery, but since it's held only at 6pm on the day before the climb, that means leaving Seattle way too early in the afternoon. I think I'll go on a week day and try to fly under the radar smile.gif

Olivier