TR - Flapjack lakes/Sawtooth Ridge

yngeagle

Myself and another guiding buddy of mine went up to check out Flapjack Lakes and the Sawtooth Ridge area for this summers guided trips. I was very impressed with the area, very serial and majestic. I made it up and through Cruiser Pass. It wasn’t very difficult to get up to the bass of the Needle. I just kicked stepped the whole way up without crampons or ice axe.

There was snow just below Flapjack lakes. And from there we used snow shoes up to the bass of Cruiser Pass. It was pretty slow going from the lakes up to the pass, because of a fair amount of snow. Plus, it was our first time there and we had to route find our way up, since there was no trail or even a boot track. It seemed as if we were the first party up in this area this year.

I wish we had more time up there, but we wanted to be back in town for our moma’s. I would have loved to have hung out up there and tagged a bunch of summits. If any body plans on going up there anytime soon and go all the way to Cruiser Pass you might enjoy skiing down, the only skiing I got in was on my butt!

Johnathan smile.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Chappy, be careful with all that praise for the Olympics. Word might get out that there's another range so close to the mindless masses along I-5. With a range where you can feel like youre the first on there other people may want to check it out two. The rock may be shit but the alpine expereinces are teh bomb. After spending some time in the Olympics route finding in the cascades can seem easy.. Someone that lived in the south sound asked me the other day if there was anyhting closer than Granite and Si to train for bigger hills..I don't even think they had heard of Ellinor, Wa, Rose or any ofd the like... Let's keep the freakin secret alright! the_finger.gifpitty.gif

Johnathan_K. said:

Myself and another guiding buddy of mine went up to check out Flapjack Lakes and the Sawtooth Ridge area for this summers guided trips. I was very impressed with the area, very serial and majestic. I made it up and through Cruiser Pass. It wasn’t very difficult to get up to the bass of the Needle. I just kicked stepped the whole way up without crampons or ice axe.

There was snow just below Flapjack lakes. And from there we used snow shoes up to the bass of Cruiser Pass. It was pretty slow going from the lakes up to the pass, because of a fair amount of snow. Plus, it was our first time there and we had to route find our way up, since there was no trail or even a boot track. It seemed as if we were the first party up in this area this year.

I wish we had more time up there, but we wanted to be back in town for our moma’s. I would have loved to have hung out up there and tagged a bunch of summits. If any body plans on going up there anytime soon and go all the way to Cruiser Pass you might enjoy skiing down, the only skiing I got in was on my butt!

Johnathan smile.gif

Where in the hell is CRUISER Pass? Been up at Flapjack atleast half a dozen times and never heard of it.

Joser

Sorry for the confusion on the pass. I ment needle pass. I was back up there over this past week. I guided a trip up through flapjack-black and white and back through Gladys divide. We were up there for 4.5 days. Black and white lks is still under snow, but the trail is good from big logs camp and also from the flapjack side. I climbed the needle while staying on Gladys divide....enjoyable climb. i was even able to top rope it for the people I was guiding. Anyhow the place is SURREAL. Right now I am thinking about doing a complete ridge traverse of the sawtooth with a buddy. Anybody done it?

Johnathan

Johnathan_K. said:

Sorry for the confusion on the pass. I ment needle pass. I was back up there over this past week. I guided a trip up through flapjack-black and white and back through Gladys divide. We were up there for 4.5 days. Black and white lks is still under snow, but the trail is good from big logs camp and also from the flapjack side. I climbed the needle while staying on Gladys divide....enjoyable climb. i was even able to top rope it for the people I was guiding. Anyhow the place is SURREAL. Right now I am thinking about doing a complete ridge traverse of the sawtooth with a buddy. Anybody done it?

Johnathan

you say you guided.... what company ?

I guide for a small company that is based out of Eatonville. The company is called Tahoma. The programs that we run are like outward bound. We take 14-18 year olds out backpacking and climbing for 10 day trips. Its great work, the kids are great. We will be running a good chunk of our trips this summer in the Sawtooth area. So, if any of you are up there this summer and see us come say hi. The kids would dig it! I will keep in touch with you guys that are looking at doing the traverse, I think it would we a sweet trip!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anybody tried to get up to cruiser from the other side of Sawtooth ridge, from Mildred Lake? I was up there in August and tried to find the path up to the ridge but decided not because of the bushwacking. Does anybody know of a decent trail taking off from the lake? I was thinking it might be easier (quicker) to head up the less brushy slope toward Lincoln and take the ridge all the way over? Any thoughts?